Damp grout?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendan_bjg

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've just had a new ensuite fitted, and portions of the grout don't seem to really dry it. I dried it as best I could last night with a hairdryer (image attached), left it over night, checked this morning, and it looks to have regained a bit of dampness (image also attached) . The tiles are about 2 ft from the shower, and the shower hasn't been used in 24 hours. There are no leaks. Coming through the ceiling. I turned the shower on this morning (cold temp to avoid steam), and it didn't make the grout any worse. Just wondering if this is anything to be concerned about?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210925_224748.jpg
    IMG_20210925_224748.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20210926_070643.jpg
    IMG_20210926_070643.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 48
I'm afraid that you've got a water leak somewhere. Could be the shower even though you've not used it in 24 hours. Water snaking along the surface underneath the tiles?

I'm afraid that you've got a water leak somewhere. Could be the shower even though you've not used it in 24 hours. Water snaking along the surface underneath the tiles?
Thanks for the reply. If I point the shower head into the corner, then water is escaping to the outside of the shower; almost like it is running down the valley of the shower door, and out underneath the shower tray. The water finds a way out, and is appearing on the floor, coming through the skirting that is connecting to the shower tray. I suppose some of the water could be sneaking under the tiles too. I noticed that was happening when showering the toddlers (they were playing with the shower head and shooting it into the corner).

Did you install it or did someone else. If the latter then I'd get them back. It sounds a bodged job TBH.

Did you install it or did someone else. If the latter then I'd get them back. It sounds a bodged job TBH.
Someone else. I've just got in touch with them; they are decent people, so I expect them to come back out. I just hope they don't silicone the shower door, I read you're not meant to do that.

Thinking about it, they put the shower screen on, then they sealed around the tile/shower base with silicone. They should of sealed around the entire tile/shower base first, then put the shower screen on? There could be gap at the bottom of the internal channel of the shower screen where water is running out?

I look at the pictures and see a problem where the tub meets the tiles.....that joint should be made to dissapear with translucent silicone, the grout lines look like they were?insufficiently filled, OR, heaven forbid, the grouting was done with a metallic trowel which left iron residue on the edges.

silicone on the shower dooor isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you do have to let the water from the tracks drain into the tubso it has to be done very carefully!

Another situation I've encounteed is that toilet obviously has to be lifted and re-installed, so problems (like leaks) can be encountered if you don't accommodate the extra height from the tiles, or if plastic flange has been broken from excessive tightening.- or doing something stupid like not getting a new was seal

Regardless definitely a recall situation. Job should look a heck of a lot better than that!

Usually when the tray goes in, it gets siliconed to the wall, then tiled and a second silicone line applied.... then when you fit the screen they usually tell you to put a line of clear silicone down the back of the track and then press the track into the wall and fix it off. If any silicone gets applied after this, it should be to the outside of the screen to allow water to drain back into the tray if it should penetrate the screen/ track.

Back