Damato Macchine combi

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt1245

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I had decided to treat myself to a proper table saw, with the procedes from the sale of our house. After reading all the good reviews on here, i had decided to get the axminster Aw10BSB2, but then i came across an advert in this months woodworker and woodturner for an italian company called damato macchine http://www.damatomacchine.it

They are selling a 5 function combi (andromeda super) for £623 inc vat, which sounds very tempting.

Has anyone heard of this company and are the machines of a decent quality, or is it a case of you get what you pay for?

Also if i do go for the axminster, is the dust extractor package that they are offering with the saw http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=642262&name=aw10bsb2&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0 worth getting? I only have a small earlex workshop vac at the moment.

Cheers.

Matt.

Matt,

An interesting find! It certainly looks like a lot of machine for the money and FWIW it's a pretty professional website. I am sure you would earn the gratitude of a lot of members if you test drove it!

I suggest you PM a couple of our Italian members and ask them to try and take a gander at one.

I have also seen there ad in a UK magazine this week and am also in the market for a combination machine. I am looking at the Andromida Super.

They have sent me an offer email that gets me what looks like a high quality dust extraction system and a load of other extras if I order before the end of May.

If any has any feedback on the quality of these machines I would be very interested.

I have noticed that the Andromida series does not seem to have a tilt facility on the Blade. I am willing to forgoe this facility if it saves me £1200! It is very rare that I have to make angle cuts that require I use the tilt on the blade.

Hi all
as an italian woodworker I know Damato machines pretty well. Actually i'm quite surprised to find a topic related to this brand here, in the UK forum!

All the Damato machines are made in china and are actually the same machine sold all over the europe with different brand names. The overall quality is poor, especially for the entry combination machines. I know a lot of friends owning one of these machines and most sold them out to by other (I know, more expensive), such as Mimimax or Sicar (the last one made some good combination machines at good prices).

If you wish to have more information and opinion about Damato machines don't hesitate to ask in the power-tool section of the italian WW forum at http://forum.il-legno.it/viewforum.php? ... 5efc91cacc

of course you don't have to write in italian :wink:

Bob

Thanks for your replies.

If you wish to have more information and opinion about Damato machines don't hesitate to ask in the power-tool section of the italian WW forum at http://forum.il-legno.it/viewforum.php? ... 5efc91cacc

I have joined your italian forum to ask about the machines, just waiting for the administrator to allow me to start posting, and am very glad i don't have to type in Italian. My Italian is no where near as good as your english :lol: .

After your comments though, i think i might stick with the axminster saw.

Matt.

I am the same. After reading these comments and wondering about what level of support it would be possible to get from a company in Italy (probaly no chance of a return). I have decided to go for the Axminster AW10BSB2. I have placed the order today but have to wait 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. I think it will be worth the wait though.

Very excited and will update you when it does arrive.

Simon

Would Matt 1245 be so kind as to let me (everyone) know what he has learned from the Italian forum about these machines. Whybob71 says that it is particularly the entry machines that are of poor quality. I am considering the saw spindle/moulder version of the America machine which is at the opposite end of the range and on the face of it a staggering spec for the price.

Hello Dave, I read through several posts on that forum and I believe that this one sums up pretty much what is being said over there.
The comment that I refer to is by Giacomo who is now also a member on this forum.

http://forum.il-legno.it/viewtopic.php? ... ght=damato.

Like us they are not overly impressed with Chiwanese imports and what they are doing to the economy.

I have been looking at these machines because for the price they look pretty good. The company gave me the names of 4 customers here in France who have bought the machines. I have made contact with three of them and they are very pleased with what they bought. They all bought the upper end of the range and seem very happy.
The comments regarding the Chinoise elements are interesting but one should remember that even the much toted Axminster AW10BSB2 originates in China. Look at http://ytmptrade.diytrade.com/sdp/44601 ... 12331.html and you will be amazed at just what the Chinese are now producing in the woodworkng line. You might also be surprised to find that the price of the Axminster saw FOB China is US$612 (Just over £300) in single lot quantities.
Peebsa24

I haven't looked at their combi machines but be aware that their saw/router unit does not have a mitre slot milled into the table. All angle cutting has to be done using the fence on the sliding table. How tight the sliding table is will determine how accurate the mitres cuts are. For that reason I decided not to go any further with them.
Peter

I regret buying a Damatomacchine Metica although it was good value and they threw in a very good bandsaw for not much more than the price. The company were surprised when I told them I knew it was Chinese. They hoped the good reputation of Italian made machines would support their sales and so I understand why Italians may not be pleased.

It is crude in so many respects and a number of items have broken or had to be "made to fit" by me. It is fine for general work but not for any precise cabinet making. I would not recommend it but now I have it, it is a bit difficult to get rid of

I am not surprised by your disappointment but there are some really nice Chinese made machines out there. I bought a good table saw and an excellent spindle moulder - both of Chinese manufacture - and I am well pleased with both.

Well, two and a half years on I am the proud(?) owner of a Damato America Super saw/spindle moulder. It's a mixed story - I could write a book. What I would like to know is if any body has the same machine, or the equivalent Universal, and has had a problem with the scorer blade drive-belt jumping off. Mine eventually jumped into the blade and was shredded. A replacement from D'amato was going to be £25 plus the same again postage which was too much for me. I have now found a local belt supplier who can supply the belt for about £30 but only for an order for 5 i.e.£6 each. Would anybody be interested in joining me in this purchase? I don't want any profit from it just cost plus postage

Hi

Would be interested in hearing more with your Italo-Chinese saw, does not have to be in writing, happy to give you a call if you're willing to send me your telephone number. Have just come across this manufacturer in France and while the specs are interesting, the quality is unknown and the service I can expect from them probably equally so.

BR
Rainer

Hi everyone.

Sorry to be digging up this thread but I too would like to know more about this company these machines.
I'm looking to buy a "good", affordable, first table saw. Given the price, these Damatto combination machines look pretty interesting.
Though it will my first table saw (no necessarily my last), I'd rather get something better second hand than to spare a few €s and buy a crappy machine.

Tried contacting people selling on gumtree and craigslist but shipping is always an issue. Buy from a manufacturer makes delivery (to Portugal) a lot simpler a possibly cheaper.

So, has anyone had experience with these machines (Damato or other)? What are the pros and cons, are they good enough for newcomer to woodworking?

Thank you.

Regards,
Pedro Vouga

Hi,

I don't know anything about damato machines, my previous experience with chinese machinery has not been very positive, though. You'll most probably
struggle with (lack of) accuracy and repeatability. Those machines are made to a budget, and quality control is almost inexistent, you may be lucky and
get one usable, otherwise fettling is required.
Having said that, if your budget is tight and you want to follow that route, you might be better off contacting one of the following companies in Spain
which sell similar machines, so you can save in delivery costs:
www.disber.com
www.lombartegroup.com

Alternatively you can try ebay on UK. UK used machinery prices are usually 50% cheaper than similar 2nd hand machinery in Portugal, and having a broader
market you'll get many more machines to choose from. Some sellers are willing to palletise the machines and wait for courier collection.
There are a handful of freight forwarders that will pick up the pallet and deliver througout europe, just search for "pallet delivery uk europe"
prices will be roughly around 250€ for a full pallet (1.2Wx1Lx2H m) up to 1000kg. Not exaclty cheap, but if you find a bargain it may be worth it.
I used one once and everything went well, no broken parts, delivery in 4 working days, I was very pleased with it, but I reckon it may be risky.

Hi Cerdeira,
Thank you for your quick reply a I'm sorry I've only just had time to respond.

Seen as this will evolve (I hope) into something broader than just what Damato Machines are worth I decided to create a separate thread which I will be putting up as soon as I can write it.
Here it is

Thank you.

Regards,
Pedro Vouga

Still concerning combination machines does anyone know Hammer, particularly the C3 31?
Thank you.

Regards,
Pedro Vouga

Back