Damaged veneer and treating.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirstSpear

Reaction score
Hidy,
My daughter bought a 1930s wooden standard lamp which she wants me to rewire. The stem is a solid wooden core with quarter-round inserts, and veneered sides; all in very good condition. The base' surface decoration is mixed wood veneer, and there are some small chips of veneer missing around two edges, though the remaining expanse seems solid, with no bubbles or wavy bits. To finish the job I want to give the wood a clean, feed, and polish. I have a tin of teak oil I would use but... would the oil get under the veneer and lift it? If so what should I use instead?
Also, is there any way of treating the chipped bits to avoid further lifting - in my experience once veneer starts lifting, it continues to the death, and repair or replacement is beyond my skill level. I could paint something around the inside edges of the chipped sections with a fine brush, but that's it. No sanding or resurfacing is going to happen.
I don't know if it's genuine 1930s, but it looks and feels the biz, and is quite heavy. The rounded-corner square stem (cross section) actually screws into the base with a wooden thread cut from the central core. Never seen that before. Nice.
Advice appreciated.
Cheers.

Hi FirstSpear, You could get some shellac sticks that match, then just melt it with a soldering iron so it drips onto the affected area, clean up with a sharp chisel before it sets to hard. You might think about cleaning it up with some Libnet, it probably has a shellac finish, so get some polish reviver and tha should do the trick.

Good Luck

Harry

Thanks for that. Thought about doing similar with araldite, whatever, but uncertain of result, didn't know about shellac sticks.
Sounds like an idea.
Cheers

Back