Damaged pine architrave

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therealquiz

Reaction score
In our flat we have some old (and beautiful) pine architraving around a door and some windows. At some point they were painted and stripped however that seemingly uncovered some damage on the edge of the architraving - see photos.

We want to keep the pine as it is but it would be nice to cover up / blend in the damaged and untidy white edges. I was thinking about filling with wood filler, sanding and then staining however I am not sure if I will be able to get anywhere near a colour match. I had also thought about filling and then painting (with oil paint?) or using touch-up pens to try and match grain and texture - but again not sure if that would work / whether I have the skills to do that. Has anyone done anything like this before or have any ideas what the best way to go about it?

Attachments

• PXL_20211108_092205730.jpg
    PXL_20211108_092205730.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 51
  • PXL_20211108_092147767.jpg
    PXL_20211108_092147767.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 52
  • PXL_20211108_092137781.jpg
    PXL_20211108_092137781.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 51
These would have been painted or heavily varnished from new. Quality of timber to match. Stripped pine shows up all the defects, new and old. I'd make good with putty and then paint.

There is a lovely old Georgian manor house local to me which I do some work on. The previous owner spent a lot of time and money getting all the paint stripped off everything including all the spindles on the staircase, the insides of the large bay sash windows and their shutters, architraves etc. They sold the house a couple of years ago and the first thing the new owners did was get everything painted again 😂😂😂

Looks like that architrave had a woodworm problem at some point. I prefer the painted look so would fill and paint it.

Hope you find a solution you are happy with.

Everything in my late Victorian house had been stripped. I was in the pub one night when a neighbour and friend came in. I've just finished stripping the last piece of white painted pine in my house, he said. That's a coincidence, I said, I've just yesterday finished painting everything that had been stripped back white. The joinery was made to be painted, more often than not it's rougher than guts under the paint.

Last edited:
Everything in my late Victorian house had been stripped. I was in the pub one night when neighbour and friend came in. I've just finished stripping the last piece of white painted pine in my house, he said. That's a coincidence, I said, I've just yesterday finished painting everything that had been stripped back white. The joinery was made to be painted, more often than not it's rougher than guts under the paint.
They chose stuff carefully by grade etc and the basic rule would be 'just good enough' if painted, which could mean 'just not good enough' if stripped. :unsure:
Common sense really.
On the other hand if it was varnished you get some surprisingly perfect stuff like the cupboard I just stripped
The pitch pine was meant to be seen, the redwood doors I've added are 'just not good enough' but I'm going to paint them. 😎
I expect that some years from now someone will strip them and be really disappointed!🤣

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
They chose stuff carefully by grade etc and the basic rule would be 'just good enough' if painted, which could mean 'just not good enough' if stripped. :unsure:
Common sense really.
On the other hand if it was varnished you get some surprisingly perfect stuff like the cupboard I just stripped
The pitch pine was meant to be seen, the redwood doors I've added are 'just not good enough' but I'm going to paint them. 😎
I expect that some years from now someone will strip them and be really disappointed!🤣

:D I feel like someone went to a lot of effort to strip the paint off so I want to at least live with them stripped for a while - they mostly look really nice just a bit rough at the edge..

If the door is stripped pine then would the architrave look good if filled and painted with a grey (other colours are available) chalk type paint (not gloss - use a waterbased matt) as a contrast ?

Latest posts

Back