Damage to door casing...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastminute

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to repair a split in a door casing where previous occupants forced the door all the way open and back until the hinges were ripped off! :-(
The top hinge position has split badly for about 18"...I want to try removing the damaged section and 'let' in a replacement piece.(..is this call a scarfe joint?)
Is this feasable...whats the best way to do it....I dont fancy replacing the whole casing...not done it before!

Any advice appreciated.

Regards

Gerry

Take off the architrave cut out the split rebated piece back to the inside corner. Traditionally you would cut back to form an angle longer on the inside. not always practical so cut the angle longer side to the outside. Assuming casing is normal nominal 1 and 1/4" and damgaed bit is 3/4". cut piece of 3/4" to fit glue and screw same into main body of casing hiding screw holes underneath architrave refit door when all dried and finished. Refit architrave. Fill and paint.
Think where hinge going to make certain hinge screws not affected by repair screws.
all the best
rob

Traditionally when making a repair you would make the joint like a dovetail so it locks inside the main body of whatever it is you are repairing. Because this casing is fixed and you are screwing away from the angled joint there is a tendency to open up the glue line at the angle so i normally cut it with the longer side at what would be the architrave side and plane the piece to fit the joint, that way your screwing into the whole of the glueing surface. The angle forms a proper glue joint better than square cut and end grain. and is easier to finish. hope that makes sense.
all the best
rob

Off with the facings (architraves) cramp the door frame together, applying a good glue pressed into the crack, now drill 1/2" holes dovetailed opposite to each other and drive in some 1/2" dowels into these holes and allow to dry...simples.

Cheers...bosshogg
"Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else." Judy Garland (hammer)

bosshogg":z7p9ru0l said:
Off with the facings (architraves) cramp the door frame together, applying a good glue pressed into the crack, now drill 1/2" holes dovetailed opposite to each other and drive in some 1/2" dowels into these holes and allow to dry...simples.

Cheers...bosshogg

The above cross stitching technique is a far less invasive method when framing timbers are split, but not missing and it's more than capable of outliving the door frames lifespan. I'd tend to reserve inserting dovetailed patches for instances involving the sectional replacement of timber (Hinge locations, lock/latch mortises, sections of damaged/rotted frame, etc.). Using dowel instead of nails helps avoid the problem associated with nailing where blunted chisels and duff screw fixings can sometimes prove troublesome.

Latest posts

Back