Dam Busters.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did,

Wasn't too surprised to learn about Gibson being such a pineapple, I spent 7 years in RAF and all the Rodny's then were Pineapples, must be part of the training course.

I saw a similar doc a while back also, and they spent more time interviewing Germans from the areas impacted, I felt quite sorry for them.

I must admit I was much amused at Joe McCarthy being underflown by Les Munro whilst flying at an altitude of 30ft!
I'll bet Munro's crew were less impressed though!

Roy.

Well in a fly past some years later a Lanc at an airshow was flown at 100 ft along the runway as 'in the Dams Raid'.
One ex 617 aircrew was heard to comment, 'we'd have been on oxygen at that height!'

Roy.

What I took from it was that the ‘revisionists’ who tried to belittle the extent of damage, need to re-assess. The point was well made that the repair of the 3 damns took considerable resources away from other parts of the Third Reich. In particular from the defence of the channel coast and so saved lives and time in the allied invasion.

Yes, many un-suspecting German lives were lost, but total war means what it says.

And yes, in ¾ hour’s time I will be keeping the silence.

Phil

Back