Dakota tenoning jig help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonny boy

Established Member
Reaction score
HI,
Does anyone own the Dakota tenoning jig from Rutlands and if so, what is the distance from the mitre slot bar to the blade end of the jig? I have the supersaw and the table sot is a little further away from the blade as on other saws. Does it seem possible to remove the bar and re-fix it a couple of inches to the left if needed?

thanks,
JON.

I have the very same tenoning jig that I use on my 12"Xcalibur tablesaw. In the base of the jig, there are two positions in which to fit the mitre guide rail, if you move it to the left hand slot,viewed from above,that will move the vertical work support face 1.1/2" closer to the blade. Hope I've made myself clear!, this is from memory,as my workshop is 5 miles away, but I will check it out in the morning.

TC

TC is correct, I've just checked mine, also on the 12" Xcalibar. My slot is approximately 4 5/8" from the blade with the bar in the position nearest the centre, to gain an additional 1 1/2" move the bar to the next position.

With the lateral movement of the jig you will be able to get the jig closer to the blade.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks to both of you for the info. The slot on my saw is 7 inch from the blade so will the jig still work or might I have to re-drill and tap the jig to accept the guide bar a lot further to the left? I know that this very problem means that a secondary adaptor plate is needed if you use the proper Jet jig in the States with the supersaw.

cheers,
jon.

The maximum that the jig will extend to is 6 1/2", so, what I would do would be to fit 1/2" piece of ply to the face,there are already holes drilled for this purpose, that should make up the 7"from the slot to the blade.You will,however,have to make another pointer, as the slot in the stock one won't be long enough to allow the point to be set at 0", its just a bent, thin piece of metal, an offcut of 2"x1"Ali angle will do the job.
Hope this helps,

TC

Hi Jon

I have the Fox version of this jig which I believe is the same and also the Jet supersaw. I had the added problem of the jig being designed to operate from the left of the blade and my saw is the version with the sliding table. It is possible to disassemble the jig and swap it around to operate from the right side but you also need to move the guide rail to the right to compensate for Jet mitre slots being so far from the blade. This entails drilling new holes for the guide bar, measure carefully and drill the hole slightly oversized to give yourself a small amount of adjustment. It can be done just take your time and measure carefully. If it was a bit warmer I would go out to the workshop and measure the offset for you. Let me know if you want this info and next time I'm in there I,ll get it. I bought my jig from Bedford Saw about six months ago for about 85 quid. The other alternative is if you have the sliding table saw remove the jigs guide rail and use it against the saws mitre guide, I have had good results like this too. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Good Luck

Richard

Cheers Rich,

I did buy the saw with the sliding table but have since swapped it for the left fixed wing which I prefer to be honest. The slot is the same distance on both the left and right sides so I guess i'll have to re-fit the bar half inch or so to the left.

cheers, jon.

Jon

you are welcome, interesting that you mention you changed the sliding table to a fixed as I can't say I am entirely satisfied with the sliding table on my saw as it keeps moving out of alignment. Sets up ok stays square for a while but gradually moves out of true. I have spoken to Axminster and they have promised to get the jet rep to call and look, so far he's telephoned twice but not called in to look at it. I'm starting to get a bit fed up with the situation. I did ask axminster about the possibility of changing to a fixed table but so far they have ignored this. Did you buy your saw from APTC or locally and where did you source the fixed table and I presume mitre guage?

Regards

Richard

Hi Rich,

I bought the saw from rutlands but it was delivered by Axminster as they deal with Jet products. I also found it a little annoying to get the table to stay level after using it a while. The guy from Jet called Rod was absoloutly brilliant with me and when I asked if I could swap the sliding table for the fixed wing, he sorted it out straight away and threw in a £60 CMT saw blade for me as well. I would recommend the swap to anyone as the sliding table is only for cutting small panels anyway, something that can be done with a home made panel cutter running in the left mitre gauge slot.

cheers, jon.

Latest posts

Back