Daft woodworm quesrtion...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalimna

Established Member
Reaction score
Deanston, a stones throw from the Distillery
Greetings folks,
Having just constructed my new bandsaw (not particularly subtle GAS gloat), I thought it was time that I did a little tidying up afterwards, and I noticed a couple of things. One will be posted over in the off-topic forum, and the other is that, on sorting through some bits n bobs of timber I came across two pieces of flamey sycamore (offcuts from an archtop guitar blank - a work very much in (delayed) progress) that had a fair bit of woodworm. Now it's entirely possible that this is old, as I seem to remember them being there before (just cant remember how severely affected), but I was wondering if woodworm tends to affect timber prior to drying or afterwards? I didnt notice any small holes in adjacent planks/offcuts, so I don;t think its new.
Any thoughts?
I may still use them, working my way through to unaffected wood, however.

Cheers,
Adam

Turn the wood with the holes facing down over some paper (being sycamour a light wood) a dark paper, brown and tap it, does dust come out? if nothing comes out they are old and the insects long gone. The odds are they are old and formed when the tree was living. I am more interested in the band saw you have built. Is it your design?

Ahh no, the bandsaw is an SIP 01444 - I say constructed as I had to put a few nuts n bolts together and translate the 'manual' into a useful document :)
I wouldnt even attempt to build one from scratch!

With regards to the dust coming out - wouldnt it come out anyway if the holes were old, as the machining into blanks would have left dust in them?

Cheers,
Adam

Back