Daft question about fitting butt hinges.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I was taught it, read it or dreamt it but whenever I fit butt hinges I always put the hinge leaf with three parts round the knuckle on the frame and the leaf with two parts round the knuckle on the door. It somehow makes sense to me that they should go this way and it keeps things in order.

The problem is the bearing type fire door hinges which have writing etched on, sometimes the letters will be upside down if I follow my normal procedure and this just looks wrong.

Have I imagined that there is a correct way round to fit butts, if so is it just a traditional thing or should it be as I described (hope I'm not fitting them upside down)?

Doug

Hi Doug. Apologies but I did have to suppress a giggle, but seriously. I've always fitted them with three bits on the frame just to make things look even.
But logic says which ever way round they're fitted the weight of the door in relation to the frame and such won't change so I would think it would be fine to have the writing upright. To counteract the weight of a fire door the middle hinge should fitted higher than central to cope with the extra pulling force. Just my opinion but I may be wrong.........dom

You're correct in the traditional sense, they should be that way. It's just they have to stamp the certifications etc onto the hinge some way so they picked a way and stuck with it. They are the correct way up if you're fitting the door on the opposite edge to the edge you're doing now.

I haven't had a customer ask why their hinges are upside down, Yet.

Don't worry I wasn't in the middle of hanging a door and waiting to see which way up the hinges should go!

Most hinge manufacturers seem to print it on sideways or different way up on each leaf so it never looks wrong but hinges made by Eclipse only have it one way and that is what I was using today.

It just annoys me that they look upside down and I am sure somebody will point it out someday( I know I would!), I just wanted confirmation that when they do I can tell them they are upside down for a reason :wink:

Back