Dad's 60th birthday box - Pics!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jensmith

Established Member
Reaction score
To those who replied to my original post way back at the start of the year I did make a wooden box for my Dad for his birthday. His 60th was today so I can now post the picture safe in the knowledge that it won't matter if he stumbles upon this post which browsing the net!

I made it with some help and advice from Andrew Crawford and spent 2 days with him earlier this year to get most of it done. I then had to finish it, oil it and line it.

It's made from Cherry with a figured, steamed maple veneer inlay and maple banding. Interior is finished in dark blue pigskin leather.

I am being critical of myself as there's a few bits not quite perfect in the finish but overall I'm really pleased with how it's turned out and my Dad was thrilled. He didn't realise I'd made it.

I will add some WIP photos when I get a chance as Paul (my OH) took photos of me making the box and I made up a photo album for Dad so he could see the process.

So, without further ado, here are the pics :)

Attachments

• Box.jpg
    Box.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,012
  • Box on angle.jpg
    Box on angle.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,011
  • Box open.jpg
    Box open.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,012
  • Box with tray.jpg
    Box with tray.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,011
  • Box closeup.jpg
    Box closeup.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,011
Jen that's fantastic, not only showing care and attention to detail, but exuding the love both of doing it and for the recipient.

Yes, he is.

Thanks Doug and Chas :)

I just wish I'd not made a couple of sanding mistakes.

That looks really good - well done! As someone trying to get to grips with a similar document box I would really welcome seeing your WIP... my attempts so far havent been anywhere near as illustrious and are currently storing a) drill bits and b) router bits (but at least they didnt go quite to waste...! :lol:

Thanks guys. :)

Wouldchuk, I'll try and get it posted tomorrow. I have all the pics, just a matter of sorting out the best and writing some commentary!

That's a superb box Jen, and even better as it's a gift for your father. Well done.

WIP as soon as possible please.

Stunning box jen bet it wont be long before your dads showing it off to all his friends and then you will have lots of orders to make some more
Well done and cant wait for the wips
Dave

Beautiful work there Jen, well done - the Box is an item that both you and your father should be really proud of.

=D> =D> =D>

Rog

Thanks everyone :)

Rod - you know, the thought did cross my mind but it would be so small! Less than 1" long. :)

Latest posts

Back