Dado's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
No, it's not another Dado cutter thread.

Im 'knocking up' a couple of quick and dirty bedside tables to 'dress' a room. I just want to make a basic box with a shelf in the middle. I'm going to use the router to make the dados with 2 clamps either side of the router base and a straight cutter.

How deep should the dados be? and, when using 18mm MDF, how wide should the dados be? exactly 18mm?

Any other comments on this would be greatly apprecieated.

WiZeR":e3d3cjg4 said:
How deep should the dados be? and, when using 18mm MDF, how wide should the dados be? exactly 18mm?
The shelf is 18mm - are the walls as well?

Are you stopping "short" of the front so the groove isn't visible on the shelf? Or straight through?

I'd make the slot 1/3 of the width of the wall personally, although no doubt someone will be along soon with the official "always this percentage" recommendation.

How are you fixing the whole carcass? Glue? Screws? Dowels? Plugs?

Before asking if they should be 18mm wide, I'd go and measure the width of the MDF with a vernier - it could easily be off thickness itself.

Adam

sides, shelf, top and bottom all 18mm mdf, back probably thin hardboard or mdf

I was going to use biscuits on the top and bottom joints, I guess to make life easier I could use biscuits for the shelf but not sure how strong this would be.

as long as no-one is going to stand on them, then i think they should be very strong for what you need

Andy

thanks, that saved some work and a headache

Have you got a biscuit jointer? That situation is the only time you can't use a router mounted biscuit slot cutter.

Adam

Adam":kzdkni51 said:
Have you got a biscuit jointer? That situation is the only time you can't use a router mounted biscuit slot cutter.

Adam

yep, i take it the fence needs removing for the shelf

best option, remove the fence. align the shelf on the end panel at the required height and clamp the boards together. This then gives you the stop for both sets of biscuit cuts. Easy and fast

Will add a drawing once home if needed

Or you can use magic wires. Just groove the shelf and drill two holes for the wires, you then just slide the shelf on. I can send you some if you want in return for the magazine

Andy

Magic wires, not sure if real name but this is them...

wire1.jpg

wire2.jpg

wire3.jpg

The ones we use now are slightly thicker than these type.

Andy

Andy,
you're "magic wires" are very interesting. I've googled around a bit & can't find them. Where did they come from?

Andy

Thanks, Woodfit's website has improved alot since I was last there.

D'you think? It must have been truly terrible before. I nearly tore my hair out yesterday using it - that single drop down option which you then have to scroll through EVERY time is such a pain.

Cheers

Tim

Back