Dado size guide?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azk404

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Is there a little chart or can someone let me know the rule of thumb for the dado width for what size wood you would use I.e would like to cut a dado for a 6mm piece of ply or MDF should I oversize a tiny bit or stick to the actual width of the wood?

Cheers
A

Hello,

Is there a little chart or can someone let me know the rule of thumb for the dado width for what size wood you would use I.e would like to cut a dado for a 6mm piece of ply or MDF should I oversize a tiny bit or stick to the actual width of the wood?

Cheers
A
Trial and error. Thicknesses vary anyway. Depends on whether you want a tight fit or would loose do? - in which case go straight for a 7mm slot

Hello,

Cheers
A

As said, depends how you want it to fit. For 6mm I'd go a tiny, tiny bit over but not much, point 2/3 of a mm..

Tip- a good way to work with sizing is to lay an offcut of your ply/MDF on the TS table and build up your stack so that the teeth of the outer blades are level(ish) with the wood.
Also, mark the thickness of each chipper and mark the size of each shim it'll give you a good idea what's needed.
As with sizing anything a few test cuts are a good idea.

Last edited:
My experience has been that sheet goods are usually a tad undersized anyway. Don't know what saw you have but Infinity , the American company make a very useful set of flat cut blades in 5/32, 5.5 mm and 1/4" cuts. Ideal for thin sheet goods and box joints. You need a 5/8 " arbour on the saw of course.

Back