Dado saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have been reading through the posts and I've noticed an interesting sub-thread, and I am looking for some explanation. Why is it that some here have a serious objection to dado saws?

Now, before anyone goes into a tirade, let me clarify. I have used them for a good part of my life, both at college, and at work (small shops and industrial concerns), and I have not had a significant safety issue. By "significant safety" issue I mean that like with all forms of machinery that have the potential to remove bits and pieces of oneself quickly, there is always a safety concern. Proper guarding, proper technique (clamping, jigs, pushsticks, powerfeeding, etc.), and common sense (keep flesh as far from cutting edge as possible) should always be used with machinery (woodworking or otherwise).

However, if set up properly, and used correctly and with a good deal of common sense I find it hard to imagine how one could remove digits or anything else "accidentally". I find them no more dangerous than say a drill press, or regular table saw cutting where the blade is exposed.

I'm not saying that people's objections are unwarranted in fact I think it best to *never do anything in the shop you're not comfortable with*. I would just like some honest answers and thoughts on the matter.

Have I opened a pandora's box? :twisted: :wink:

Regan":vtrgdkus said:
You did a search for "dado", right! :wink:
Welcome to the forum Regan. Hope you enjoy the opened box that follows!
Personally I don't think anyone without 10 years of woodworking experience should be allowed to use a stacked dado head :wink: :wink:
<come on, reel 'em in with some more controversy>

unfortunately my saw isnt equiped to take a stacked dado cutter but I wish it was. I think that most woodworkers would have the common sense to employ due care and attention when using one and of course the benefits are many compared to router use I beleive.
Health and safety laws in industry are wonderful and Im not knocking them but in a domestic/hobbyist environment which is where I fall, i dont see the issues as being quite the same thing. My understanding is that its not illegal to use them unless you make a living or sell the finished article which employed the use of dado cutters(Please dont shoot me down on that) so I'd like to see more manufacturers producing dado useable equipment.
beejay

Hi Regan
You think you're far enough away in Canada to bring up the D word, eh? :lol:
In my opinion the whole dado thing is a very British affair-in Britain the trades were very much a closed door, you would have to serve a long apprenticeship before being "allowed" to know the trade secrets. They were very closely held and outsiders were kept in the dark. This atmosphere, coupled with our delightful nanny state makes for the kind of comments and extreme emotions you read in this forum. :wink:
As dado capable saws are thin on the ground now (supposedly due to Health and Safety grounds-but really down to manufacturers being too lazy to bother selling saws with useful guarding) getting useful info or talking to someone who has experience using one is difficult.
But fear not, for the Underground Dado Alliance ( :roll: ) still fights the good fight! These brave souls fearlessly use the dado in their private workshop (at night obviously, with the curtains closed) and there are agoodly few members on this forum.
So, many thanks for raising this subect (again)
I await having my head bitten off.......
Philly :D

Philly Disclaimer-Woodworking is dangerous-don't do it! :shock:

Aragorn":2lhvhfal said:
Regan":2lhvhfal said:
You did a search for "dado", right! :wink:

Clearly not! Hmm, it must be about, oooh, 1 day since the last thread on this?

:roll:

Adam*

*Who thinks Charley should put on a filter for the word Dado, which swops it to something else, just to discourage. How about replacing it automoatically with the words "white elephant" or "boring" or <insert something comedy here> :?

Philly":360f4k09 said:
... use the dado in their private workshop (at night obviously, with the curtains closed)
:shock: You have curtains!! :shock:
This is a far more serious safety concern than the dado, not to mention the fashion faux pas :wink: :wink:

<Sticks fingers in ears and goes "La-la la-la-lalalaaa la-la laaaalalala. I will not rise to this, I will not rise to this..."> :roll:

Aragorn":3u09rz24 said:
:shock: You have curtains!! :shock:
There are others who share Philly's secret shame. Not me, I hasten to add. I haven't any windows to put them round so I can do what the heck I like all day and no one can see... 'Course it means I have to hide the imported Unisaw, dado head and signed photo of Norm when taking w'shop tour pics, but it's a small price to pay... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Dammit Alf-how did you know about my signed Norm photo?? :oops:
Must stop taking wide angle shots of my shop.....
And what's wrong with curtains in the shop? (Still looking for a Plaid pair :twisted: )

You think curtains are a luxury? Heck, I haven't even got a window in mine! It's always been one one of those "I'll put a window in when we get enough space to store the [insert bulky item of your choice] somewhere else." jobs. And of course, we never quite find the space.

The hunt for a new workshop continues...

When I get one, do you think I should be daring and install curtains too? If so, what sort? I hadn't been planning on going much beyond a magnolia finish on the walls. Nevertheless, I'd hate to have a colour scheme that clashed with my machines, which are mostly blue Record and green Kity. From the sounds of it, a fashion faux pas along these lines would make me the laughing stock of my peers. It's unfortunate that my Hegner is red; perhaps I should be looking to get it resprayed.... It's funny, but this is a subject I've never seen covered in Good Woodworking Magazine. Come to that, it's not even featured in Prima.

Dado's are a subject that I'm completely unqualified to comment on because I've never used one. However, their use does imply to me that the machine operator is taking his task too seriously to have fun. The emphasis is on ploughing out as much timber as possible as quickly as possible - where's the fun in that? For me, it's a matter of philsophy rather than a matter of woodwork.

Gill

Gill
I believe that the H+S executive has a section on suitable curtain colours and patterns. (I've heard that certain combinations can be dangerous in the workplace..... :wink: )
Thanks for giving me a giggle

Philly as I'm cleaning my workshop up what sort should I fit, will a roller blind do instead? I'm concerned :?

Bean

Well tablesaws scare me silly anyway so there's very little chance of me using one with multiple whirling digit detachers. :shock:

As to curtains, they hold the dust too much. Much better to use some nice blinds, the roman type look nice.

You can get some roller blinds with really nice prints on.

Actually, it could be argued that having curtains is quite sensible from the security point of view.

Sorry for taking the thread so far off topic :oops: .

Gill

Philly":1j87pstl said:
If you go with the roller blind make sure you use the proper guarding! :roll: :lol: :lol:
Gosh yes, those spring-loaded ones can be vicious without correct training. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Sorry Regan, I think we might have gone madly off-topic in a fit of self-defence. :oops:

Yup, that successfully hijacked the thread :lol:

I'm with Adam - filter the D word.......or ban it completely! :)

Scott":2np16ghv said:
Yup, that successfully hijacked the thread :lol:

I'm with Adam - filter the D word.......or ban it completely! :)

Maybe Charley could run a script so that one week it gets replaced with <nasty finger chopping off blade with a risk of kickback> and the next week <best thing since sliced bread and you can have your router and guide back, thanks>

And no, please don't comment on whats in the brackets folks. :roll:

Adam

Back