Dado Safety Guard Shocker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Philly was your machine imported from the States?...if so I bet the shipping was a bit steep... :shock:

Imported from Yorkshire, Woodford.

Noel

But what is so strange is, is that we are allowed a wobble saw

so how does that all fit in we the DADO SAFETY scare issue he :roll:

Noely":f2hb5780 said:
Imported from Yorkshire, Woodford.

Noel

Didn't I just read that we couldn't have a saw sold in this country that allows a dado? EU regs. or something?

Mcluma":1y9jee2i said:
But what is so strange is, is that we are allowed a wobble saw

so how does that all fit in we the DADO SAFETY scare issue he :roll:

I believe it's more to do with the EU directive concerning braking of the blade within 10secs. A dadoo blade is heavy (at least three blades in one if you will) whereas a wobble blade is much lighter. It's just not considered safe to brake a heavy dado blade in this way, hence the rules.

Scheppach have got around this slightly by introducing a "groove/slot" cutter, which is two blades each with fairly large cutter heads, and shims in between to adjust the width. It's similar to a dado, but is designed to allow safe slot cutting whilst still meeting the 10sec rule on the Scheppach machines designed to accept it.

Martin,

Did you you buy groove/slot cutter for your scheppach TS2500? If so, have you had a chance to use it; if you have, what do you think of it.

DemiFrog

Martin,

And to stay in line with subject; if you do use a slot cutter, what do you do to protect yourself from the blades?

DemiFrog

DemiFrog":286p4kpu said:
Martin,

Did you you buy groove/slot cutter for your scheppach TS2500? If so, have you had a chance to use it; if you have, what do you think of it.

DemiFrog

DemiFrog,

Yep, I did buy it but haven't had gotten around to using it yet :oops:. It was one of those wonderful impulse buys (which was given a helping hand by the £99 pound offer NMA had on at the time). I'm in the middle of yet another workshop re-organisation at the moment, but hopefully after that I'll get the opportunity to do some "real work" and give it a try.

I just took a snap in the workshop - first attempt at posting an image on this forum, but here goes....

ScheppachSlotCutter.jpg

Basically you get two beefy cutter blocks, with 2 cutters each, plus some shims to adjust the spacing.

As for protection - that's something I'm still mulling over (and part of the reason I haven't used it yet). The over-table guards from Axminster (+ Suva guard from Scheppach) are too damn expensive, and I don't really have the room for yet more kit. I'll probably go along a similar route to Philly, and construct something that attaches to the rip fence.

Martin.

P.S. Philly - apologies for the minor hijack of your thread...

Incidentally (probably not obvious from what I've said previously) - the cutters are designed such that the teeth of each blade overlap each other, but are offset at right angles so that they don't interfere with each other. Indexing pins in the blades ensure that the set-up is correct.

Martin.

Back