Dado or trench jig updated - Aragorn

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

Some will remember my dado jig of a few months ago which recently reared it's ugly head when Aragorn was searching for it.

Well, I finally got around to the first of the mods I had in mind.
I found that the jig could slip round unless two clamps were used and clamped up very tightly. These sometimes got in the way.

So, I added a clamping board today and covered it in 80 grit paper. Works a treat.

I drilled through the outer boards that the router pushes up against when in use and fitted a couple of 6mm threaded inserts (epoxy to hold them)

Insert.JPG

I sized a 20mm thick piece of pine and cut a shoulder on each end with a tenon saw + cleaned it up with shoulder and rabbett planes. I glued 80 grit paper to the contact side to prevent slip in use.

Sandpaper.JPG

A couple of countersunk 6mm screws does the clamping job + as they are countersunk, won't mark the bench during use

Screws.JPG

Here it is being used - a removable tool tray in the bench comes in handy :wink:

Clamped.JPG

and from below

Bottom_view.JPG

Tony":qgwn0umx said:
I sized a 20mm thick piece of pine and cut a shoulder on each end with a tenon saw + cleaned it up with shoulder and rabbett planes.
Oh my... I love the irony of using handtools to make a jig for a router. :lol:

Alf be fair, with Tony's ever growing family of hand planes he has to find a use for them at some point in time :wink:

Bean

Who hasnot added to his pile of planes since last week.

Alf":1gzi3jy2 said:
Tony":1gzi3jy2 said:
I sized a 20mm thick piece of pine and cut a shoulder on each end with a tenon saw + cleaned it up with shoulder and rabbett planes.
Oh my... I love the irony of using handtools to make a jig for a router. :lol:

thought you'd like that :D

I've noticed that my wood working has become a lot quieter lately :)

Back