dado head cutter. Help me!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for anyone that is interested in dados you must have the correct sized one some people put a 6" dado on a 254mm table saw you must not do this, to work out what size dado you need you must look in your instruction manual that comes with your saw it may say that it is a 254 mm table saw but it may except a 300mm blade so you always go to the bigger size that it can take.

you then take that biggest messurement and your dado must be within (smaller) 6/10 tenths of the biggest size blade it will take.

hope this will help anyone wondering.

bramers

:norm:

bramers, just out of interest, why do you want a dado head fitted so desperately??

Andy

Am I missing something, as I understand the PUWER reqs bench saws etc must now be braked, I understand that was back in December 2003 so why are manufacturers still producing and selling equipment that does stop within the specified time. I have purchased a large makita site saw which takes ages to stop yet the festol stops within 2 sec? Site saws are much more dangerous than any other woodworking tool according to my tutor at college. These regs apply to commercial and self employed as well as rental companies but don't apply to domestic situations. Can anyone explain this discrepency especially circular saws.

Hi David

New stuff had to be supplied with brakes from 5 Dec 1998, retrofit was required on static saws was from 5 Dec 2003 and I thought that a portable site saw would be classed as a "circular saw bench" so the rule should apply, although the manufacturer might be using the get out that a portable site saw is something different (how I don't know) and relying on the part of the regs that gives manufacturers and users of "machines not specified" until 5 Dec 2008 to comply. The usage rules apply to self-employed/employed/hire companies but all new machines since 1998 must be CE marked by law and therefore the brakes must be fitted to even the cheapest of DIY saws. Are you sure there's not something wrong with the site saw and that the brake hasn't been tampered with or damaged?

Scrit

i dont want one desperatly, i am just here to offer assistance where ever i can. i thought that, that that type of information is helpfull to someone who wants one. also it could stop them from damaging there motor.

bramers :roll: [/quote]

Dave L - Thanks for the link, interesting solution, but for the time being I think I'll stick with the router. I feel that I need more experience to use a dado cutter & one only gets that over time.

bramers I can only wonder why you would advocate the fitting of a larger diameter blade to a saw than the one stated by the manufacturer, especially a dado :shock: The increase in diameter and weight increases the forces being applied to the spindle and makes the whole set up even more dangerous than it already is. Its insane. If you need to change diameter go smaller the stresses are less, and it just may be a little bit safer. But unless you are very familiar with the design of a piece of machinery, or have the relevant experience of machinery, leave well alone.

I have tried to keep out of this as I do not believe that dado's provide any benefit over a router and like scrit I have and do work with machines, consequently I have a very healthy distrust of them, and due in part to that distrust I still have all of my fingers. A few cuts yes but they heal the remnants left from a dado cutter will just stain your machine table.

Norm has got a lot to answer for, long live radio 2.

Rant over, I'll get me coat

Bean

Hi
I am not really interested in this subject but I do feel Bramers is being got at wrongly here.
No where as far as I can see does Bramers say that he wants a Dado and certainly not desperately.
And if my understanding is correct he doesn't say that you should put a 300 m/m dado on a 254 m/m saw. What he said was to take the next size up and then take 6/10 of this leaving you with a dado size of 180 m/m.
I do not use dado cutters and have no intention of using them but I do think bramers posts were treated wrongly.

All the best
john

johnjin":3ug2zsqw said:
Hi
I am not really interested in this subject but I do feel Bramers is being got at wrongly here.
No where as far as I can see does Bramers say that he wants a Dado and certainly not desperately.
And if my understanding is correct he doesn't say that you should put a 300 m/m dado on a 254 m/m saw. What he said was to take the next size up and then take 6/10 of this leaving you with a dado size of 180 m/m.
I do not use dado cutters and have no intention of using them but I do think bramers posts were treated wrongly.

All the best
john

thanks john, was starting to feel like i was speaking chinese, all i was trying to do was pass on information that my college lecturer told me, he has been using dados for 25 years so i thought that that was of some use to some people.

i am sorry for all of those that took my message the wrong way.

bramers

Hi Scrit,

No there is definately nothing wrong with the saw and I have used dewalt as well, and its the same they seem to take a noticibly long time to come to a complete stop. Will ask the manufacturers at the woodworking show.
Thanks Dave

Hi Dave

I use a DW742 (flip-over) for site work and that stops pretty quickly

Scrit

Back