Dado Head blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Greetz.

I recently acquired a 30+ year old B&D DeWalt Radial Arm saw, which is totally cool :)

I'm trying to obtain a wobble-type adjustable dado head blade for it, but research has
suggested these, and their stacked counterparts are illegal in the EU because their weight
makes them take too long to stop.

Can anybody confirm or refute the above? Or better still, tell me where I can buy one in
the UK?

Thanks James, I'd been to that site before - I was specifically after the wobble blade though
as you can adjust them in situe (and they're considerably cheaper!)

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Hi Phale

The 'wobble blade' isn't a blade at all - its a pair of eccentric adjustable spacers that make your sawblade sit on the arbor at a variable angle. You vary the width of the groove by turning the spacers in relation to each other, changing the angle of the blade. Maximum is usually about 10 mm.

Available from Rutlands - look at the Eumenia radial arm saw accessories. However, you may need to source it elsewhere from another manufacturer depending on the diameter of your arbor. (Scheppach do one, I believe - certainly for their 4010)

I have the Eumenia RAS with this attachment, and it works very well, although better results, i.e. flatter bottoms on dadoes, can be achieved with a router ...

regards

eeyore

any idea what the arbour size is catered for with the wobble set of washers from rutlands?

Steven

I've measured the bore of my Eumenia wobble washers, and they appear to be designed to fit approx 18mm arbor. The blade mounting flange is 30mm - a standard blade size, since it's designed to work with the saw blade supplied with the Eumenia RAS (Rutlands spell it "Euminia". but they're wrong) :roll:

Re-reading my previous response, I should have it made clear that what I meant was the eccentric flanges are what cause the blade to wobble, not any element of design of the blade itself. There are several 'wobble dado blades" available in the US marketplace that work the same way, for instance

http://www.toolhawk.com/tools/Delta_Tab ... o_1293.cfm

but I believe that they may, like stacked dado head cutters, require a longer arbor than those available on European saws (with the notable exception of the DeWalt 720 RAS, which surprisingly passes the braking test required in Europe).

Grooves made with 'wobble blades' suffer from curved bottoms (all right, settle down, not that sort :oops: ) - they're much tidier done with a decent router ...

hope this helps, but not sure it does ...

eeyore

For your amusement, in Austrian the wobble flange assembly is called a "Wanknuteinrichtung" - isn't that cute ? :lol:

Thanks Eyore - very helpful indeed! I found the blade at rutlands, it's exactly what I need.
The arbour diameter on my saw is standard US 5/8" ehich is about 16mm, so hopefuly
it'll suit me fine! At 20 quid, the price is right too :)

is the wobble blade set of washers able to be using in a table saw "a - la dado blade " ??

phale

Please note: what you're buying from Rutlands is a pair of washers - blade not included! The washers need to be a good fit on the arbor, not just 'near enough', or the whole thing might wobble rather more than you'd like, culminating in the blade coming off and whizzing across the workshop like something out of a kung fu movie ...

Steven

It would be possible to fit it to a table saw, provided that the insert (the bit the sawblade sticks up through) has a wide enough aperture to give it enough clearance.

Please be aware that it will not be possible to cut dadoes with the saw safety guard and riving knife in place.

I would advise you most strongly to consider carefully whether the result is worth the risk (especially since grooves cut this way are not all that accurate). A router and a guide clamp or jig will give you better results every time.

eeyore

Ayup
What is all the huya about dado blades :? (wabble washer or otherwise).
Ive never had one, and have never felt the need for one
Is it just a Norm thing?

Whilst we are on about Norm, is it me, or is he getting his chequered shirt in a twist. On the rare occasion that I watched him the other night, I heard him talking about "waterbased polyeurethane".

:? ?????????????????????? :?

Tell me if I am wrong, but the term polyeurethane means "Spirit Based"

Waterbased spirit based laquer ??????????

Cheers Bob. :wink:

Waterbased Polyeurethane does exist hmmmmmm :oops:

Cheers
Doughnut

Latest posts

Back