DADO! Blades :P

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dave,
I know what you're saying, but my understanding is
that all these measures, albeit single or dado blades, make
the risk of k/b VIRTUALLY impossible.
If there is only a one in a millyun (Rodney) chance
of it happening, you have to be aware of the danger :!: :!:

TX

IMHO you can never, ever totally eradicate the possibility of kickback. You can certainly help to diminish the probability of kickback but I'd never let myself fall into a false sense of security. A well tuned and maintained TS and best working practices go someway to making things safer.

Rgds

Noel

[quote

Dave-What Charnwood was it??

[/quote]

Hi Tom

The W615. I'm pleased with it. Fills the gap between B&Q and mega money.

Dave

magician":218484cp said:
[quote

The W615. I'm pleased with it. Fills the gap between B&Q and mega money.

Forgot to say, Screwfix sell it as well described as a "10" Heavy Duty Table Saw".

Dave

If the saw is designed to take a stacked dado and suitable guarding is used then dado's are "legal" to use in the workplace (and obviously in the home, as HSE does not have such a stranglehold on private individuals).

It's not a well known fact but the HSE does have authority within a private home workshop if said workshop is used to produce goods for sale. Of course they have to know about you first, but should you have an accident as a result of breaching HSE guidelines then they could take action against you if they so desired. Unlikely I know but possible!

...not to mention planning officers. Bloody suits...they all the same! :evil:

"the risk of k/b VIRTUALLY impossible"

I'm afraid not, the teeth coming up from the table lift the wood slightly then follow thorough across the top of the blade, projecting the piece down the table. The dado head just means that there is more surface area for the blade to catch. It doesn't just happen on the offcut side.

Usually as the item is flung away the persons fingers slip forward and :eek: :shock: :cry:

"IMHO you can never, ever totally eradicate the possibility of kickback"
I agree.

If you can stop the wood lifting then the kickback can be greatly reduced.

Andy[/quote]

Hi Offcut,
I wrote
VIRTUALLY impossible

By highlighting the word 'virtually', i was hoping to stress that
kickback couldn't be completely eradicated.
Obviously it didn't work :roll: :wink:

TX

As a newcomer I'm gradually working through the posts and this one came close to home as I cut the end off my left thumb years ago when I had a kickback right at the end of a very long cut. :oops: My estimate was about 25 milliseconds from kick to cut. Fortunately the local hospital sewed the end back on and although the thumb joint was damaged I still have all my digits. :) I was using a pushstick at the time, and that may have prevented further injury as the blade sliced that particular piece of oak in two... Analysis of the problem suggested a worn drive belt (teeth missing), but was that the cause or a result? I'll never know, but I am supremely vigilant around power tools!

I own a Delta table saw (just like Norm's) and have a Freud 'Super Dado' stacked cutter as well as a Freud 'wobble' cutter. The wobble cutter is, quite frankly, rubbish and I wouldn't use it for any decent work as the dado doesn't cut squarely. Anyway, the setup time is far longer than the stacked unit as the markings aren't accurate and I've used a lot of scrap wood making practice cuts. It's now gathering dust.

The chippers on the Freud can't continue spinning on mine when the saw is turned off because the chipper carbide bits overlap the carbide bits on the two outer cutters. I think the maximum movement permissible with the blades not tightened is about 1/8 inch. I have cut up to 7/8 inch dados no problem on the saw, and they are a LOT easier than using a router for larger cuts. The main difference between using the dado and a router is the noise -- the dado/table saw combination is VERY noisy for large cuts as HID will testify when I used to have my workshop in the basement. :x

One more point on the use of the saw; I like to use zero clearance inserts and have made several out of birch -- cheaper than the plastic ones and challenging to make accurately. Nice for fine work and no hole for thin bits of wood to drop into and fly off at wild tangents when they hit the blade. Less dust, too, as most of it goes under the table to be sucked up by the dust collector hose. I also have quite a few hold-downs, guides etc. that I use frequently.

As a parting comment I find ALL tools dangerous, not just power tools. Chisels are the worst offenders to me as their cutting edge is so sharp (at least mine are) you can't tell you've cut yourself until the wood changes colour! There are some tools I won't have in my workshop though, and a radial arm saw tops the list :wink: (ducks and heads for cover......)

White House (err hello George?),

I won't argue with any of it except the RAS. I have used one in the past for everything and whilst they are potentially dangerous, they look more dangerous than they are, or at least than they need to be.

(Please excuse that minor rant and I don't wish to start a flame war, it's just that they get an undeservedly bad press)

As you say, chisels can be very dangerous. I have nicked myself more often with chisels than any other tool and I have been very lucky not to slice through tendons on occasions. Often the nicks have been while sharpening the darn things, the potentially crippling injuries have been when I was tired or lazy and not thinking about where a chisel would go if it slipped or the work slipped etc.

Chisels for me too :? Last time I cut myself with a chisel was last saturday when I was cutting some dovetails by hand (and a thumb!):(

Hmm, I seem to have a long lost brother somewhere! No, I'm not George I'm Brian. Check out the website for a bit more info (not much!). The White House Workshop is two old garages knocked into one (L shape, 24' by 17' approx) at the back of our property, which is one of The White Houses in Farnham, Surrey (there are 4 to my knowledge).

I wonder how many "White Houses" there are in the UK and if they beat "Dunroamin" into second place?

Brian

Back