Dado Arbor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as long as you have the 5/8 " arbor which allows you to buy American made products .
Excellent additional piece of information I was unaware of. I was slightly puzzled why all of the 'Harveys' I looked at had an arbour that size when the one on the Axminster ,which is also a Harvey, is 30mm. It seemed strange to me that higher spec machines had a smaller diameter shaft which I would interpret as a weakness due to a greater chance of deflection. Of course its possible the data on the AT254LTS is inaccurate and that they are also 5/8"..either way, thank you for clarifying the arbour diameter logic for me. I appreciate that anything other than a saw blade is a source of contention and that one of the reasons is over having an adequate guard..having had issues with dust extraction on previous saws my next one, whatever I get, will have something like this which hopefully will aid in both respects.
1598562355334.png
1598562355334.png

The 5/8" inch size is an American convention as is their 1" spindle moulder size. You can buy 5/8" hole blades over here --www.wealdentool.com usually stock them but you get a huge selection from the American websites. People seem very passionate about preferring a router table over a dado stack but you simply don't get the blade to fence distance with a router table unless somehow its as big as your tablesaw !

I don’t have any actual experience of using a dado stack (but plenty experience of watching Norm use one).

I have a Scheppach table saw for which I have long had a 2-part groover similar to the CMT set suggested above - this was sold by Scheppach for use on this saw, but is a Leitz product (even more expensive than the CMT set!)

A few things to note:
- in my case I needed a new table insert (I guess I could have made one to fit) and a special flanged nut (because the arbor is only 15(?) mm - I think the Jet may be similar.

- fitting the stack including various spacers can be quite fiddly because the groover has a 30mm bore (it is held in place by the recessed flange at the rear and the flanged nut at the front.

- I have happily used this for many years and endorse the comments above re the accuracy of these sets; however..

- I recently had a very scary experience when the whole set flew off the arbor just as I turned off the saw. I have discussed this with the ever excellent NMA - I understand that Scheppach no longer supply any such groover having had various other no doubt similar occurrences. The issue apparently is the fierceness of the motor brake as required by EU legislation. I believe it may be possible to retard the brake by adjusting whatever Is the active electronic component, whilst still stopping the saw within the requisite 10 seconds, but I have not attempted this.

- I am certain the set was properly aligned and tightly fitted, but this still happened. Fortunately the disassembled set ended up contained in the saw blade well of the table saw and just suffered a few dings. I am wary of whether this may affect the balancing of the set, but I think I am ok as no metal has been lost! I have yet to summon the courage to try it again 🤞

I don’t know how much this is directly relevant to your Jet saw, but it may just be of interest.

Cheers

Back