Daddy's Helper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Just had to post this little pic of my little girl helping out in the workshop. She has "off" and "On" periods of liking helping Dad in the workshop. Thankfully, at the moment she loves getting stuck in.
Sophie has her own box of toy tools. Yesterday she asked me "Can I use the real tools, now?" So pliers, spanners and sandpaper are her first "real" tools. Sharps edge tools are a no-no :wink:
Anyway, hope you like the pic,
Philly :D
sophie.jpg

P.s. Before anyone asks, the table saw was isolated. :!:

Waka
I have bought a smaller diameter blade (235mm) which allows the blade to go totally beneath the table. I can then use the sawbench as a "work table", hence no riving knife and guard. It easily pops in and out on my Xcaliber.
Incidently, Sophie is a wizz with the dust extractor. She spends ages sucking up anything on the floor. Now wheres that tape measure? :roll:
Cheers

Love it Philly. Hannah has the same on/off tendency and loves using the the 4" extractor hose to vacuum up offcuts, dust, small tools etc.

Last time she 'helped' she sucked up the buttons I had just made to hold a top on a cabinet - no longer usable after meeting the fan :roll:

Nice pic Philly, and it's nice to see a bit of dis-order in the workshop.

Anne likes to use the small electric drill/screwdriver and we've already made 2 bird boxes, with me holding on she can drill the holes and screw the screws.

Andy

Nice one Philly
My girls can make for a whole day out of a box of scraps, nails and paints and the creations are wonderful

Bean

Nice one Philly,
I also have a Sophie although mines a lot smaller, she's up feeding now :( Mum is alseep :evil:

I'm a 'New Man' or something :oops:

I also have a workshop helper, 'George' he's nearly six. I let him drive screws into scraps with a cordless. He can get through a couple of batteries doing that :)
Night all.
Lee.

Hi All,

I also have or I would like to have a little "helper" in the workshop. His name is Davide and his first tool has been the wooden vise with which he has been able to grasp one little finger within the hole handle.

davidefalegname1.jpg

He isn't much prone to listen daddy advices, therefore I try to take him far from electric tools (last saturday he inserted the electric dry hair plug himself in the light socket :x if it would be been the drill or .... :( ) my luck is I haven't a lot electric tools :wink:

Nice photo :) Philly

Hi all.

Brilliant pictures - thanks for sharing them. Enjoy these good times while you can.

Regards.

Philly":683q27sm said:
Gabriele
Davide looks very happy in the shop-a good sign!
best regards

Hi Philly,
I hope he'll pass a lot of the free time with me in my workshop : it's very satisfiable to make something with own hands. :D .. when he come with me his main task is to saw with something which seems like a saw blade all around and to hit like an hammer. :idea: for his birthday (15/02) I could make a sort of saw and hammer with plywood... any advices ???

Do you have a lathe? I turned a couple of hammers for Sophie-she spent months banging everything in sight with them. :D

Philly":3qdf2m94 said:
Do you have a lathe? I turned a couple of hammers for Sophie-she spent months banging everything in sight with them. :D

Philly, :( I haven't a lathe. I would like... how I said time ago my intention is to make a pole or treadle lathe because I'm fascinated
how our ancestors made everything without burning electrons, how it could be said.
However I could try to make a simple little rectangular hammer, like mine, and a saw with ply blade of 3mm with its handle style LN or so.
I hope Sophie didn't hit your beautiful wooden jobs. It that case, after the usual curses, anyone can forgive his children, can't he?
:wink: It's a simple way, for them, to know if we are making with hard wood or no. :wink:

GEPPETTO":elfxm1x4 said:
a saw with ply blade of 3mm with its handle style LN or so.
Just don't cut any teeth in it. I'm sure I read that someone did that and then discovered even wooden teeth can do surprising damage to a table leg... #-o

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2rs2ay4o said:
GEPPETTO":2rs2ay4o said:
a saw with ply blade of 3mm with its handle style LN or so.
Just don't cut any teeth in it. I'm sure I read that someone did that and then discovered even wooden teeth can do surprising damage to a table leg... #-o

Cheers, Alf

worth advice. I didn't have thought on that :?
I just have that famous table with long crack I said time ago just refurbished :roll: .

Thanks Alf, nice to write with you again. :wink:

I can also confirm that plastic saws sold in DIY kits for small children can likewise do alot of damage to wooden window cills :roll: and that wooden hammers that are supposed to be for banging pegs into a pegboard similarly have more than one function in the hands of a 2 year old :wink:

Steve.

Children are gods gift to us all, teach them all the good things.

Enjoy them while you can.

I wish my grandchildren would like to spend sometime with me in the workshop

Latest posts

Back