D4 glue cleanup

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trainee neophyte

Established Member
Reaction score
Up until now I have been using standard PVA glue, mostly 500ml D3 because it is what I find on the shelf of my local hardware/builders merchant. I sent my fabulous wife out to get some more, and she came back with 750ml of D4 for the same price as 500ml of D3. I am much impressed, especially as we are making garden furniture, but more importantly I will need this for the paddleboard build, if it ever happens.

Halfway through a tricky glue-up, I run out of the old stuff and open the D4, which I have never used before. Wow! It went everywhere, including all over the fabulous wife (who was helping with clamps - did I mention she is fabulous?). This is not the same as PVA glue, and it's waterproof, to boot. I know this, because it won't come off anything, especially said wife.

So, I did the best I could with damp rags, kitchen roll etc, so the woodwork should be ok, but my best beloved is grumbling about sticky paws. We have tried hot water, salt, soap, washing up liquid, nail varnish remover, and olive oil. Weirdly, the best result is with olive oil, so well done internet for that snippet, but I am wondering what the professional woodworker uses (I imagine gloves are top of the list).

Thoughts would be welcome. Oh, and a handy tip for getting waterproof glue out of a summer dress, too, otherwise my woodworking days may be at an abrupt end. :oops:

On skin, Let it dry, then peel it off.
On wood, let it dry, and use a chisel to slice it off.

Now then, what surface is the chisel used on? :shock: :shock:

Thank you all for your valuable input. Most helpful. I've just discovered I need to remove glue from one of the cats - will I need to regrind my chisel to 20°?

This stuff is amazing - it truly got everywhere. Less maybe more in future.

Trainee neophyte":1d6bqk2z said:
Thank you all for your valuable input. Most helpful. I've just discovered I need to remove glue from one of the cats - will I need to regrind my chisel to 20°?

Just rub the cat with olive oil...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

manglitter":3aqonw89 said:
Trainee neophyte":3aqonw89 said:

Just rub the cat with olive oil...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Best make sure Popeye ain't around first :lol:

Trainee neophyte":15bc8rqy said:
I've just discovered I need to remove glue from one of the cats.

Hmm… This won’t help at all, I suspect.

After an afternoon’s browsing and sluicing (ahem, client entertaining) we went to a colleague’s apartment for further refreshment. In a regrettable incident involving the use of an ironing board as a keyboard (synthpop karaoke, if you must ask) a full glass of red wine was poured over the host’s white Persian cat.

Whilst I cannot tell you what will remove unwanted substances from a cat’s fur, I can assure you that kitchen surface cleaner, after shave, and talcum powder will not.

The colleague’s partner was miffed when the episode was discovered. The cat was inexplicably moody too.

D1 -D4 are glue performance specifications not types of glue. pva type wood glue is available in each of the specs

A common D4 glue is a foaming polyurethane that gets everywhere including sticking to the skin where the black residue takes a few days to wear away - I think acetone will shift it.

Myfordman":2m90rlgm said:
A common D4 glue is a foaming polyurethane that gets everywhere including sticking to the skin where the black residue takes a few days to wear away - I think acetone will shift it.

Foaming polyurethane sounds about it. It grew alarmingly, and is more like runny honey in appearance and viscosity. I just threw it on as though it were pva - I certainly won't be doing it like that again! Good news is that it has glued, and I managed to get the clamps off without too much stress. I then went old school with chisel and hand plane, and felt like a proper professional until I succumbed to heat exhaustion in 37°C. However, it seems to be a success despite me, and wife says her hands are only slightly waterproof still. The cat isn't talking, but looks a bit crispy. Probably a success overall, but plenty of opportunity to lash it all up during the sanding and drilling phase.

Big learning curve on this project. Lots of firsts, including gluing up family and pets.

Sheptonphil":eb29r1rw said:
Then sauté for five minutes a side till crispy?

Would that be a Dutch recipe? Apparently they called cats "roof rabbits"during the war - probably because there was nothing else to eat, and you don't want to tell the kids they are eating Tiddles. At least, not until afterwards.

Back