D3 or D4 glue for Outdoors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osvaldd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, was wondering for outdoor projects like chairs and tables and stuff, is D4 type glue necessary?
I have almost a litre of Everbuild 502 D3 glue which I want to use up, but don’t want to end up with failed joints if its not suitable for outside. It says its weatherproof but not waterproof.

Can you arrange it so that the glue isn't doing all the work, for example with drawbored dowels?

I have built very little for outdoors, but I made a stand for the tomato growbag that was glued up with Titebond 2 and used drawbored tenons. It's out in all weathers and probably six or seven years old now, with no sign of failure, although the adjustable metal feet had to be replaced last year because they rusted. That was partly because the posts have such large shakes in them (as built) that rainwater could get to unprotected bits of the foot assembly. The feet were fine, but the threaded inserts weren't.

I would choose a PU glue for external use.

Although big joinery manufacturers often use pva.

I seem to remember being told the difference in spec is the boil time test, between D3 and D4 glue

For a home project its not worth the risk.

I would go for PU, there is something about the fact it takes a week for the black marks it leaves on my hands to wear off that makes me think it sticks stuff together well #-o

Everbuild D4 for everything in my workshop.

Only £8.14 for a litre in Toolstation!

I'm reading technical data of the Everbuild D4 adhesive it says not suitable for load bearing applications. It doesn’t say that on their D3 glue.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 20.19.36.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 20.19.36.png
    92.1 KB · Views: 95
Osvald
….for outdoor projects like chairs and tables and stuff,
This outdoor chair was made 4 years ago; glue was D4
SS6idHWh.jpg

Used often and still as strong as day one :)

Forgot to mention that I now use Cascamite for projects made for outside :)

@Cordy
That chair looks well protected by the paint I would not worry about waterproof glue in that situation. tbh

will1983":2qzs8u1x said:
Everbuild D4 for everything in my workshop.

Only £8.14 for a litre in Toolstation!
Yep, fantastic stuff. I use it for just about everything (inc exterior work, but not boat building or similar) but you're paying over the odds for it; I can buy it locally for less than a fiver - Rob

Back