D&M Show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freetochat

Established Member
Reaction score
For all those able to attend the show today, how was it? Is it worth a visit? And did anyone see any deals to be had on the Triton Router?

John

For a Friday, it was packed!

Never been before, so it was all new for me....very good displays and demos.

Bought some stuff and saved a good 15-20% off the prices elsewhere - am pleased. Nearly put my back out getting it out of the car.

Cheers

Howard

nope, sadly, Triton wasn't there.

Was a bit busy but tollerable. I wasn't impressed with Trend's demo. Walked off halfway through. The guy just wasn't prepared or not a very good instructor/salesman.

Other than that the show was good, managed to limit my spending to just a 'soiled' router book and some magazine back issues.

Only person I spotted was jim4321 on my way back to the station.

Three of us met at the cafe at the entrance at noon.
I was not impressed - Trend were doing mostly dovetails but were mainly talking about their table than demo's
Loads of nail guns going of - gives you a start when you are not expecting it.
Record had the largest stand and Makita /Dewalt were the next largest.
Not many demo's going on, mainly talking and very little showing.

I thought that the show was OK, even though the number of exhibitors was fairly low.

I went there to see a couple of old mates (Keith Birkett on the Brimarc stand and the "Bessey bloke") and came away with a couple of things I intended to buy and a book that I didn't.

Managed to meet Barry Burgess and Dave Laker (and Dave's Dad - a real character!), which was a bonus.

Only complaint - the food on offer was like a fairy tale - GRIMM! :evil:

Ray.

The Hitachi Cordless tools looked good but I have not seen them before. The impact driver was small powerful. I think there were 6 different makes of nailers.
If you want to watch the Record bandsaw demo you better get there early as it was overflowing and was run only once a day
The Bessey show specials are the same that I have seen at every time they display.
Also the hand tools are on the first floor and it is not well sign posted and could be easily missed

I did find it a bit small and poorly laid out. The Trend demo was on at noon so I missed you guys.

Is Axminster's Tools show bigger and better than this?

I really was confused as to why Triton wasn't in attendence. Their products are very well made and competitive. Infact a lot of exhibitors where using the Triton SuperJaws.

WiZeR":vi4dfo0l said:
I did find it a bit small and poorly laid out. The Trend demo was on at noon so I missed you guys.

Is Axminster's Tools show bigger and better than this?

I really was confused as to why Triton wasn't in attendence. Their products are very well made and competitive. Infact a lot of exhibitors where using the Triton SuperJaws.

Superjaws are always at every show.
They were first made by ELU who were bought by Dewalt- somewhere down the line all the sauperjaws returned to Triton.
I went onto one stand and said that the superjaws was the best thing on their stand. - stunned silence
The London show at AP was much better in my view

I nearly walked up to the guys on the paslode stand and enquired about the Triton range... tricked by the orange T-shirts and superjaws.

Looking foward to next years AP

Barry Burgess":l6s5kvzc said:
WiZeR do you own a superjaws??
Best thing since sliced bread

no, but its on my xmas list ;)

If they where on sale today I would have treated myself. I was enthused by the amount of exhibitors using them today.

Record's display was good, but like others have said, get there early - the staff were really helpful and friendly.....and took a chunk of cash off me :wink: . The guy at Brimark, demonstrating the Tormek sharpening was good too - although it was a bit crowed as well.

I had a look around for DaveL's clogs, but I think I was there too early! Needed to leave at noon.

All in, I went and got what I wanted and it was good to to see that amount of manufacturers and dealers in one place amd see the ranges in the flesh rahter than browsing on-line or in catalogues. I would've liked to have seen more hand tools though.

Bought a burger on the way out and most of it was in the bin before I got to my car :x .....still tasting it now. Sandwiches next time!

Cheers

Howard

WiZeR":w7b9kgyk said:
Barry Burgess":w7b9kgyk said:
WiZeR do you own a superjaws??
Best thing since sliced bread

no, but its on my xmas list ;)

If they where on sale today I would have treated myself. I was enthused by the amount of exhibitors using them today.

Don't buy the superjaws for Xmas as they will be launching a Chinese version at about a 20% discount in January.
Superjaws is like having an extra pair of hands in the garage

Howjoe":1lj3j8h4 said:
I had a look around for DaveL's clogs, but I think I was there too early! Needed to leave at noon.
I can vouch for Dave, he was there at just after 10 with his "dogs" and looking the part. I spent time talking cyclones with him.

Went earlyish Friday, and thought it offered a good display of <machinery> for the money! But not a lot if you were looking for hand tools - which is fair enough given the sponsors.
Looked hopefully at the various Universals, but they are all still in the "when I win the lottery" range - will just have to keep an eye on the secondhand market as usual.
What did <really> shock me was the poor quality control on the Record lathes. Happened to look at the cheapest DML from directly above the headstock, and the spindle was a good 5 degrees out of line with the bed bars. NOT a good sale point for anyone who knew what to look for, and a bad deal for anyone who didn't. So much for Chinese foundrywork.

I went on Friday and record have thier own part this year :tool:
The Trend stand ..... Well ive already chucked my Trend router table and although the salesmen where very helpful and i got my catalogue of cutters today the head man is a complete buttocks and wasted my time .
Mr King couldnt find his saw setter and i feel i need to take him one but i cant remember what one of those looks like :lol:
Might go again tomorrow around 4pm when the real deals are going :D
Apart from that its a great show and ive got the hump cause ive been working all day and it rained as soon as i decided to go to the boat ! :twisted:

Barry Burgess":1gyc1jj6 said:
Ray /Argee looks much young than this picture so I would have missed him but he spotted dave's dogs
Well I think Ray growing the beard was what stopped me picking him out. :oops:

I had a good time at the show and Dad enjoyed it too. 8)

Had a good chat about cyclones and filters with Barry Burgess and here with his permission, a likeness for the gallery.
barryb.jpg

I came away with a new top thrust bearing guide for the bandsaw and a Metabo POWERMAXX PRO, its just as the others have said loads of power in a very small tool. :)

I tried to speak to Andy King, but he was giving personal lessons on window frame construction and I did not want to break the concentration. [-X

Martin Brown of Brimarc invited me to try out the LV scrub, he did not need to ask twice, I had never used one before. Its magic to use, but then it is one of Rob's toys, I was very strong and managed not to buy one. =P~

The bandsaw session with Alan was full before I got there, I would have liked to have seen that one. :-s

Well I can certainly recommend going on a Sunday - its was deserted! Much quieter and easier to move about then on previous occasions when I've been Fri/Sat.

DaveL":1y7vvyhp said:
Martin Brown of Brimarc invited me to try out the LV scrub, he did not need to ask twice, I had never used one before. Its magic to use, but then it is one of Rob's toys, I was very strong and managed not to buy one. =P~

Me too, thats a very nice tool - quite an eye opener - I've never used a scrub before :oops:

DaveL":1y7vvyhp said:
The bandsaw session with Alan was full before I got there, I would have liked to have seen that one. :-s

Ahh yes, its quite worth going to. I've seen it at least twice now - so this time I opted for the Ron Fox routing - and that was very good really interesting.

I stopped in to see Alan Holtham do his turning beginners class, and using the planer thicknesser. I've seen the turning lecture probably twice before - but each time you pick up something new. The best one was the planer thicknesser - not only have I never seen it before - but this years little tip was when setting the blade height, wind it lower than you want, then back up, thereby ensuring with the backlash of the screw, you can be sure its resting on the alignment screws.

I had another play on the veritas planes at Brimarc and headed off. Well worth a visit!

Adam

Latest posts

Back