D Kimberley handled wooden plough plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob1713

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a lucky find earlier this week when I was able to buy a wooden plough plane by D Kimberley with a full set of cutters for a very reasonable price.
The plane is in good condition and all of its 'bits' are with it and work properly.
After a very light wax and sharpen I gave it try out. It's an absolute delight to use, the 3 stem screw fence system makes setting up very easy and accurate. I like the fact that it is relatively big and heavy as this helps keep it on line when working with awkward grain.
The only issue i have found is that you cannot cut a shallow groove by working to the depth stop when the groove is less than 25mm from the fence as the cut out in the fence for the depth stop is not deep enough. It seems that this issue was well known as number of online pics of this plane that I found show the fence cut down.
It's covered with patent stamps so Mr Kimberley was obviously very happy with his work. All in all its a lovely tool which will get a lot of carefull use

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 850
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 851
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 851
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 852
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 851
I recently bought a similar item - although a different maker - at a flea market for 15 euros. It only came with 1 cutter though. It has the same depth stop issue as yours, so perhaps it was a common design fault.

I have not had the same success as you in using mine. I find it difficult to cut a clean groove with the tool, and it is hard work. Perhaps I have not sharpened the cutter well enough, or I am using the tool incorrectly. I don't think there is anything wrong with the tool because everything seems to be there and to operate as it should. I will perservere with it and hope to get it right. I would also be interested in any tips you can pass on about how best to use the plane.

You lucky man!
I can't say I have made a study of the prices but the ones I have noticed have all sold for over £100, especially when the loose key for adjusting the iron bridle has not gone missing.
Nice to hear that it will get used as well as admired.

Could you enlarge on what sort of opportunity you had - shop, small ad, friend, boot fair etc? I'm not expecting to repeat your success but it's nice to know that bargains are out there.

AndyT":22zam6s4 said:
Could you enlarge on what sort of opportunity you had - shop, small ad, friend, boot fair etc? I'm not expecting to repeat your success but it's nice to know that bargains are out there.
I got it at a place which, so far as I know, does not exist in the UK but is common over here. It is a venue for selling unwanted, typically used, items. Similar to a car boot sale but your goods are displayed for a longer period and you don't have to be there yourself. You rent a "table", usually for a week, and put your items there marked with the price. The venue owner collects the money for any items that are sold. At the end of the week you collect the money and retrieve any unsold items. Tools sometimes appear there, but usually it is clothes & household goods. I occasionally take a quick look but usually don't find anything of interest. Sometimes it is worth the trip though. At the same time I bought the plough plane I bought a nice wooden bench plane for 10 euros and I have had good use out of that already.

Just4Fun":1nmy18s4 said:
I recently bought a similar item - although a different maker - at a flea market for 15 euros. It only came with 1 cutter though. It has the same depth stop issue as yours, so perhaps it was a common design fault.

I have not had the same success as you in using mine. I find it difficult to cut a clean groove with the tool, and it is hard work. Perhaps I have not sharpened the cutter well enough, or I am using the tool incorrectly. I don't think there is anything wrong with the tool because everything seems to be there and to operate as it should. I will perservere with it and hope to get it right. I would also be interested in any tips you can pass on about how best to use the plane.

If everything else is serviceable and the iron is sharpened to a reasonable standard at the correct angle it should cut a clean groove. Here's a couple of things that I would check

If you have another iron try it in the plane, as the cutting edge of your current iron may be slightly narrower than the iron body
Check to see that the iron is snug against the side of its seat within the plane as if it is not exactly perpendicular to the skate it may make the top of the groove ragged.
Are the front and rear skates exactly level with each other
Is the fence parallel to the skate.

Please post a picture of your plane as it sounds interesting

Nice buy Rob! That's a beauty and it's great that it will be seeing use and not languishing on some collector's shelf.

Just4Fun":102f41q7 said:
I have not had the same success as you in using mine. I find it difficult to cut a clean groove with the tool, and it is hard work. Perhaps I have not sharpened the cutter well enough, or I am using the tool incorrectly. .
Are you starting the groove at the end and working back towards yourself in successive passes?

Obviously if the iron could do with being honed just that bit better then do that as well, it's rare to regret making a woodworking tool more sharp :D

Just4Fun":37ffeg06 said:

Two thoughts. Sometimes on old wooden plough planes the fence shrinks so that its working face is no longer vertical. Consequently, as the groove you are cutting gets deeper, the fence is drawn in towards the work until it's impossible to push. The remedy is either to plane the fence square or stick on a suitably angled shim.

Also, look at the way the grain runs in the wood you are trying to groove. It will be harder to get a clean cut against the grain. Try turning it round and see if it gets easier.
If making panel frames or similar items by hand, getting the grain orientation right is an important but easily overlooked step.

Back