D Bit / Tool Grinder ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Munty Scruntfundle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.

Can anyone suggest a decent tool grinder available in the UK? I'm looking at something the size and style of the Optimum GH20, but needs to be 240v.

I am not at all going to entertain the thought of those small drill doctor things, they're terrible, and I need to grind end mills, shell mills etc.

I'm prepared to pay around the 1k mark.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Many thanks.

John Hall

Established Member
Reaction score
There’s a Boremaster Tiplap grinder on EBay..£650… or best offer…been on quite a while…if you like vintage..

Keith 66

Established Member
Reaction score
The school i worked at a few years ago had an Optimum lathe & bench drills as fitted by our service provider. All had the legend "Made in Germany" on them, in fact they were made in China & were a mix of good & shockingly bad quality, the lathe was supplied new with roll pins missing from its gear selector forks. The drills were made with a rise & fall mechanisn that had gears looking like they had been made from compressed swarf, they failed within 1 week of first being used.
I would not waste my money on anything made by them.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
The usual defecto grinder is a Clarkson mk1 or 2. For that kind on money you will get a very nice one with tooling.

Phill05

Established Member
Reaction score
I use one of the Universal Tool & Cutter grinders and find it great to use and makes a very good job.

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a deckel SO - the original one that all the others have copied. Fantastic piece of kit. I also have a tiplap at work which is probably a more versatile machine with the interchangeable workholders, although not quite as nicely made. As deema says, a clarkson may be better if you're planning to regrind endmills. Personally I just use the D-bit for doing specials and odd cutters, life's too short to be sharpening endmills unless they're something special.

evildrome

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a deckel SO - the original one that all the others have copied. Fantastic piece of kit. I also have a tiplap at work which is probably a more versatile machine with the interchangeable workholders, although not quite as nicely made. As deema says, a clarkson may be better if you're planning to regrind endmills. Personally I just use the D-bit for doing specials and odd cutters, life's too short to be sharpening endmills unless they're something special.
"interchangeable workholders"

?

I have a TipLap that I got for £50 at an auction.

I thought the way I got it was the way it was. The top comes off?

Could you post some pictures of the work holders you have?

Thanks,

Wilson.

evildrome

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.

Can anyone suggest a decent tool grinder available in the UK? I'm looking at something the size and style of the Optimum GH20, but needs to be 240v.

I am not at all going to entertain the thought of those small drill doctor things, they're terrible, and I need to grind end mills, shell mills etc.

I'm prepared to pay around the 1k mark.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Many thanks.

I have a Clarkson, a Quorn, a Tiplap & two Ferrets (metal, not furry) and I can recommend the Clarkson.

But if you could get a Deckel SO for that money, maybe consider that.

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score

?

Thanks,

Wilson.
Will do. I've had a couple over the years and I think I've managed to assemble a complete one, including the original makers stand. Just done some googling and turned up this:
Some kind chap has scanned his manual and uploaded it.

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score

?

Thanks,

Wilson.
Attached a couple of pics of my tiplap. As you can see, the deckel SO fits perfectly in the cabinet and switches over when I need it! As well as the standard holder I have two collet chucks, a boring bar holder and a blank one that I think is intended as a fixture plate for grinding specific repeat cutters. The top right one in the last picture is the "clenslap" for cleaning the diamond lapping wheel.

Attachments

• 20220611_132107.jpg
    20220611_132107.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220611_132416.jpg
    20220611_132416.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220611_132552.jpg
    20220611_132552.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 0