Cyclones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Burgess

Established Member
Reaction score
I have built two different types of vacuum clearer based cyclones(Triton dust bucket & a dual cyclone from an Aussie design). Both work very well but now is the time to progress to a 4" based system. I have studied the excellent Bill Pentz site and am wondering if anybody has found local sites for ant of the following
impellers
Air foils
Motors 2HP
"Muffers"
Filters
I have run 110mm soil pipe around the garage with blast gates at each point and am converting some equipment to have a 4" port.
I now have to start on the cyclone. At first i was going to buy a 2HP dust extractor system and break it up for the parts but am now having second thoughts so I am looking for the parts.
Thanks
Barry
:?:

Barry,

Take a look here to see what I have done.

I bought a cheap Nutool dust extractor and broke it up. I think Woodford did have impellers on their web site, but I only found them months after making mine.

The blower is a 1HP but having run it with a watt meter in circuit the fan never pulls load from the motor so the fan design is very important. If I started again I would look for 8” pipe for the outlet on the cone, planning 8 – 10” sycamore can still clog the outlet at times and I would try for 6” ducts in the shop for better air flow.

DaveL":2g5h1nc4 said:
Barry,

Take a look here to see what I have done.

I bought a cheap Nutool dust extractor and broke it up. I think Woodford did have impellers on their web site, but I only found them months after making mine.

The blower is a 1HP but having run it with a watt meter in circuit the fan never pulls load from the motor so the fan design is very important. If I started again I would look for 8” pipe for the outlet on the cone, planning 8 – 10” sycamore can still clog the outlet at times and I would try for 6” ducts in the shop for better air flow.

Thanks Dave I have looked at your cyclone. Well done some on the USA versions appear to have been built by pros. My sheet metal work has to improve.
I think your problem is the 1 HP motor. I would also have gone with 6" ducting but the cost does not justify??
I have looked at a cyclone diameter of 14" and a 3HP motor & 4" pipe work. I only have a saw/router table/sander/bandsaw etc at present.

Barry,

Its the fan that is the limiting factor in my setup, these radial fans pull max power when they are run without the limiting effect of the duct work. While I was modifying the blower I held the motor in the vice and run it up with no ducting connected and could not get the input power up to the rating of the motor, so even if I put a 2HP motor on the air flow would still be the same as the fan does not max out the 1HP motor..

It is only the planner/thicknesser that stretches the unit and then only when machining wide boards. For the machines you have the design should cope OK.

Back