Cyclones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lazurus":3hp8op3p said:
https://www.carbatec.com.au/dust-control/dust-extraction-fittings/dust-bin-separator

I use one of the above bin lid separator's on top of a 220l plastic drum,
That's exactly how I built mine. The dust bin lid separator rim was stuck to the top of the drum with a copious amount (and I do mean a lot) of silicon sealant and then onto that went a circular disc of 12mm ply bolted onto the rim with eight coach bolts, each with a with dome headed nut. To get an air tight seal between the rim and the underside of the ply, I used some self adhesive draught excluder - Rob

Code:
without meaning to take the thread too far off topic.
Ive got a Titan shop vac (used for sander, router and floor cleaning, etc) and have been meaning to sort out a cyclone for ages. 
Would this combination work on a lunchbox thicknesser if I used a 2.5" hose to the cyclone? At the moment, I just let out all the chips fly out on to the floor and sweep them up after. 
My home workshop is tiny (around 8ft x 6ft) so adding a larger chip collector isnt an option, I'm already out of space. Just thought I'd ask before ordering a 2.5" hose.

in a word, no (well not in my experience)

Thicknessers kick out high volume which the small cyclone cant handle with a shop vac. I use a Festool midi and a chinesium cyclone which works great for sander/router.tracksaw but not hte tablesaw or thicknesser.

I tried soo many times and for the time being just settled on doing it in the garden and sweeping up after. Axminster sell a cheap chip extractor for about £150 designed for thicknessers/bandsaws/tablesaws which you just empty the bag, for small spaces it seems the only option.

Theres a good thread on here about duct extraction although it way over my head, but explains it all in great detail. planers etc, need large diameter high volume extraction, powertool need high suction.....or something

craigsalisbury":3mrs6okt said:
Code:
without meaning to take the thread too far off topic.
Ive got a Titan shop vac (used for sander, router and floor cleaning, etc) and have been meaning to sort out a cyclone for ages. 
Would this combination work on a lunchbox thicknesser if I used a 2.5" hose to the cyclone? At the moment, I just let out all the chips fly out on to the floor and sweep them up after. 
My home workshop is tiny (around 8ft x 6ft) so adding a larger chip collector isnt an option, I'm already out of space. Just thought I'd ask before ordering a 2.5" hose.

in a word, no (well not in my experience)

Thicknessers kick out high volume which the small cyclone cant handle with a shop vac. I use a Festool midi and a chinesium cyclone which works great for sander/router.tracksaw but not hte tablesaw or thicknesser.

I tried soo many times and for the time being just settled on doing it in the garden and sweeping up after. Axminster sell a cheap chip extractor for about £150 designed for thicknessers/bandsaws/tablesaws which you just empty the bag, for small spaces it seems the only option.

Theres a good thread on here about duct extraction although it way over my head, but explains it all in great detail. planers etc, need large diameter high volume extraction, powertool need high suction.....or something

thanks Craig

Just an observation, but after getting a good look at one at a trade show the Festool pre-separator appears to me to be a neatly exxecuted spin on the Thien baffle. There is at least one video out there that actually shows the innards for a few seconds.
I think the numbers that I saw somewhere are consistent with that. There's a significant pressure drop through the unit but it works well and integrates nicely.
Like Disinterior, I have an antistatic dust commander on a small 40-50 litre (?) blue plastic drum and it works well but I'd certainly have a go at making something like the festool one if ther's a next time.

Back