Cyclones Revisited

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Burgess

Established Member
Reaction score
After a day of working with MDF and visiting the gym the next day and healing rotten while running, I am speeding up my making of a cyclone.
The ideal length of the cone is 3 times the length of the cylinder but this is not practical as the diameter of the cylinder has to 16" or greater with the cylinder length longer than the diameter. The next best ratio is 1.64( I don't know why but the number is on Bill Pentz's site and 2 other theory sites)
I have found from my 1.5" vacuum based cyclones that the dust entering via a round pipe sets up turbulence so Bill's dust entry system with air ramp appears to be correct from the turbulence point of view.
This is where my problems start.
1. I do not think my sheet metal ability is up to the tasks and am looking for a good source to get it made? (Paying to have it done)
2. Sourcing HVAC pipe fittings - 6" to 10" increaser/10" to 6" deducer/ 10" Snap lock duct/ 6" starter collar etc
3. Sourcing a suitable 2HP /3HP motor
4. Sourcing an impellor (JET 14" looks the part)
5. Cartridge filters -It appears that you need 30m sq of filter space(pleated)
I have been searching the internet in the UK with few results and am asking fellow BB members for help
Thanks in advance
Barry

Barry
For a filter try looking at Truck air filters, the ducting should be avialiable from your local ducting supplier.

Bean

try Fox,
They sometimes have a 2hp motor fan assembly laying about thats been returned.....if the worst came to the worst you might have to even buy one but i wouldnt go less than 2hp possibly upto 3hp.

When you make your middle tube the one that goes from your fan and runs through the centre put on a spiral at the top as near your initial inlet as possible as this helps to start the cyclone process a lot quicker.

Also where your sawdust drops into the bin try and keep the edges slightly rounded....similar to an aircraft wing this also keeps flow a lot stronger.

regards
Ian

Bean":tobeg4kv said:
Barry
For a filter try looking at Truck air filters, the ducting should be avialiable from your local ducting supplier.

Bean
Thanks I have found CCL for ducting but the nearest to me according to them is Croydon (1hour +) or bristol (also 1hour +) but they are sending me a catalog as their website has not worked all year.

I have been looking for a truck repair centre to get used air filters but have not been able to find one in the south east??

Ian Dalziel":3s5ywmsc said:
try Fox,
They sometimes have a 2hp motor fan assembly laying about thats been returned.....if the worst came to the worst you might have to even buy one but i wouldnt go less than 2hp possibly upto 3hp.

When you make your middle tube the one that goes from your fan and runs through the centre put on a spiral at the top as near your initial inlet as possible as this helps to start the cyclone process a lot quicker.

Also where your sawdust drops into the bin try and keep the edges slightly rounded....similar to an aircraft wing this also keeps flow a lot stronger.

regards
Ian

Ian
Has Fox got a website or do you have a number for them.
I wanted to use a 3HP if I could find a single phase one.
I was going to use the Pentz design.
I created a turbine effect with the double 1.5" cyclone that I built and that works very well. Thanks for the advice.

Back