Cyclone Flat Pack Kits now finalised & ready for production

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do these improve suction and work just as good or better as a normal chip extractor over say 10m of steel pipe?

I have a 150mm extractor that splits into two 100mm so would mess my setup up and would need "rejigging" again (which im fed up of doing) if I had the 150mm. One of the 100mm pipes solely feeds the thicknesser planer and mortiser. Im thinking if I use the 100mm cyclone on the other 100mm steel would benefit me as that has the bandsaw, table saw, lathe and soon to be router table and disc / spindle sander.

Now then does it make any difference if I was to place this cyclone more "inline" say 3-5m of steel which then feeds the other 10m or so. Reason being is space and I think I would like to put this above the beams where all the steel pipes run. Yes changing this would be a pain but as its the T/P that fills the extractor up quickly which wouldn't be on the cyclone side its mainly going to be dust in the drop box, so it wouldn't need changing that often.

I'm not 100% I understand everything you're asking but they don't improve suction as such, your suction remains the same. They do however preserve your suction, as you know when the filter bags and the bag gets full the suck lowers, with a Cyclone you never get that as the filters never get clogged and the bag never gets full.

I don't think it really matters how far away you place the Cyclone from the extractor within reason. My extractor is 150mm which I run into the 100mm Cyclone and then on the 100m Cyclone use a 100mm Y adaptor to give me two feeds, I see no reason why you couldn't do that?

If you were to mount the Cyclone at celling level but connect it to your drop box with a length of hose on the floor that would save some space but still allow emptying?

chems,

There is a typo in the second paragraph on the home page .Benfits.

Interesting product, look forward to hearing some feedback from people.
Phil.

48(ish)hours to go, if you are waiting till the last minute, its approaching, Wednesday evening the site won't accept anymore orders. Thanks to all those that have, with the number of orders its looking to be the week of the 7th for delivery rather than the week before.

Will you be making them again after this date, Or will it just be a one time thing?

Unsure tbh, it only works in volume, I sorta think that everyone who wants one will have had one this last 2 weeks. See what happens in the 2 weeks downtime for production.

Chems":115m7feh said:
I'm not 100% I understand everything you're asking but they don't improve suction as such, your suction remains the same. They do however preserve your suction, as you know when the filter bags and the bag gets full the suck lowers, with a Cyclone you never get that as the filters never get clogged and the bag never gets full.

Indeed, by introducing a cyclone you are adding to the air resistance, ie. you are not increasing maximum theoretical suction/airflow, but reducing it. This can be an airflow reduction of anything from 15% upward, depending on the design dimensions of the cyclone. In real word conditions however, a cyclone almost always increases airflow, because it will help to prevent the proverbial blocked filter experience (which is often far more detrimental to airflow and general sanity).

Lots of people underestimate how much difference adding obstacles, 90degree bends, drop boxes, changes in duct size, and the like will make to airflow. When I was messing with my dust sniper projects, I found that simply routing the hose before it even got to the cyclone differently could literally 1/2 the airflow. Admittedly I was experimenting with introducing baffles and things, that I knew would compromise airflow a bit, just wasn't expecting that much.

I definitely want one, 100mm, but I've just had a little boy so the hobby has taken a bit of a back seat! I guess we can have another thread in the future about a second production run.

Good on you for giving it a go in the first place!

Pete

Got my order in, not quite ready for it but this will be the impetus to modify my extraction system.

Kit arrived this afternoon, looking forward to making up. Thanks for doing this at a sensible price.

Mine also arrived. Like others won't have a chance to look at it for a week or so. All seems ok (not had time to check properly) even though the packaging had opened in transit.

I also received mine today.

Thanks.

Now I just have to choose between carrying on with making the drawers for my workbench, or playing with my new toy. :lol:

I'd be interested to know how these cyclones look after a few months use, a lot of random junk goes into my extractor and I'm thinking all that lovely clear plastic will soon be scratched up, do post some pictures if you have any please!

Aidan

Glad they all arrived, had a few reports of rough handling from the couriers. But the packing isn't idea, it needs to be wide to fit the tubing in but then stuff flys around inside! Going to use a different packaging method next time!

Mine arrived yesterday, couldn't resist gluing it up!

Attachments

• IMAG0064.jpg
    IMAG0064.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 54
Back