Cyclone Flat Pack Kits now finalised & ready for production

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am interested in these items but unsure which cyclone I would need.
I am using a Startrite MDE-F2 twin motor extractor and 4" hose for general purpose extraction on a Deft table saw, De-walt DW733 thicknesser, and Axminster CT150 planer, as well as on my router table (usually with just the one motor running for the router table).

Can you suggest which cyclone would be most suitable, or would two different size cyclones be necessary to cover the different flow rates?

I think your Startrite has the same specs as a twin motor camvac, and I'm sure that they have got a huge amount of suck and would do fine with the 100mm model. When you use your router table do you use a smaller hose?

Yes. I use the Record 32mm hose (with 100mm adaptor) that was part of the package when I bought the extractor.

I have this connected (via an adaptor) to both the fence extraction port and to the router extraction port and it seems to extract well enough.

I assume the efficiency of the cyclone is affected by the flow velocity, and it is not just a question of matching hose size to inlet size.

Seems like I should order a 100mm unit and try it out, then order a smaller unit if it is inefficient for the lower flow rates, and when I have a better understanding of the different tools i will want to connect. I have only recently set up a properly equipped workshop and am learning what i need as I go along.

Does that sound a reasonable plan?

Yeah that sounds fine, see how you get on.

You'll find you get much better fence extraction with a 63mm hose and just use the 32mm hose to the router, its what I do with mine, chip extractor on the fence and vac on the router.

Lots of the 50mm models ordered so thought I'd upload the prototype video of the 50mm.

Video

Orders close down on Wed for those waiting for last minute.

Oooo nice.

Being someone who has also spent a long time messing about making and tweaking cyclones (but not with any commercial interest), may I ask a few techy questions? What's the jointing strip adhesive and the glue you are using?
Is the plastic polycarb or something else??

The body material must be quite thin, to allow cold bending (particularly on the small versions which has a tighter radius at the bottom of the cone). To add to this the static pressure of shop vacs can be much greater than the higher airflow dust collectors, so... Is there any issue with the vacume deforming the walls of the cone when the vac's hose is restricted or blocked for example?

Anyway, good work, great to see this technology catching on over here and being used! :D

I have a 1/2HP extractor, but use 100mm hose from my saw, table and planer. I might upgrade to something larger later, but it's not a certainty.

Would I be right in thinking that it would be worth the PITA of changing all the hose ports to something smaller, and going for the 63mm (or even the 50mm).

Reminder - I must order by Weds :)

Bongodrummer":3ft91fkt said:
Oooo nice.

Being someone who has also spent a long time messing about making and tweaking cyclones (but not with any commercial interest), may I ask a few techy questions? What's the jointing strip adhesive and the glue you are using?
Is the plastic polycarb or something else??

The body material must be quite thin, to allow cold bending (particularly on the small versions which has a tighter radius at the bottom of the cone). To add to this the static pressure of shop vacs can be much greater than the higher airflow dust collectors, so... Is there any issue with the vacume deforming the walls of the cone when the vac's hose is restricted or blocked for example?

Anyway, good work, great to see this technology catching on over here and being used! :D

Trade secrets I'm afraid! :twisted: I did worry about the collapse issue with the cyclones before I made one, went made into the cone and the top and foot is on, I can barely depress the sides out of shape with my, theres no defomation with the extractors I've used. (3hp and Festool) I've tried blocking them off with my hand too, no problems.

@Richard, I don't think a 1/2hp machine will run the 100mm but you could probably get away with the 63mm one.

Hey Phil,

I can't see the specs of it because they don't sell it anymore, but its the same one OPJ has and I think that should be man enough for the 100mm its a proper chip extractor.

Trade secrets a :?
At Least let us know what it is made from, polycarb right? Surely you have to tell people what they are buying? I cant think of any other plastics that would be strong enough to cold bend like that, and not collapse.
Am tempted to put an order in just so I can satisfy my curiosity :p

Did you prototype ones with a downward angled inlet? Obviously you decided it was more bother than it was worth, but did you notice any difference at all?

The ratio is split at 33% each for 50mm 63mm and 100mm.

The body is polcarb, I though that had been said but I think it was in another thread. The angled inlet is for ones with air ramps I think. :-$

Latest posts

Back