Cyclone extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
I decided to do something about my extraction set-up - an Axi 2200 with a fine filter cloth bag, which clogged up regularly because of the amount of MDF I use. This led to a significant loss of suction, giving even worse extraction at source.

Picked up a cyclone and oil drum off e-bay, and made a few mods so that the fine filter bag sat on the underside of the axi frame, and blocked off the top with MDF

2011-10-06153435.jpg

Worked great - the cyclone picked up 99% of the waste, and what was left was fired into the fine filter bag. A handful of dust for every oil drum full of waste.

However, there were a couple of issues. Firstly, the lost floor space given the size of the oil drum and the Axminster stand. I also felt that I was losing suction given the route of the 6" ducting between the extractor and the top of the cyclone. So I have decided to make a few more mods. I took the extractor unit off the Axi, and mounted it above the cyclone with some anchor bolts.

2011-10-07192154.jpg

Tomorrow I will be making a modification to the extractor to allow the fine filter bag to be fitted. I will also be using 5" ducting from the cyclone to the machines - hopefully increasing flow rate.

This new set-up should work great. It has freed up 2' of wall space which can be used for timber storage, and also means that the p/t can be pushed closer to the rear wall (it had to be brought away from the wall before to allow for clearance past the Axi 2200).

Cheers

Karl

Great work, I'm not far from fitting duct work for my workshop. I have the same extractor as you so I will be watching this thread closely, so if you have any updates please post.

If you just left it like that, sprayed all your saw dust white and wait 3 months and fire it up you'd have a really good santa's grotto in there!

Nice setup like that, good use of space, I may do the same if I can bring myself to pull apart a brand new extractor!

The good thing about the way i've done this James is that it can be dismantled and the Axi extractor put back together. I may just do that - in the New Year i'm going to keep an eye out on e-bay for a more powerful extractor, and sell the Axi.

Cheers

Karl

I think I'll defiantly do the same, come production time for me I'm going to machine a wall mount for myself, and see about bolting the extractor motor above it.

Half an hour in the 'shop and the jobs a good un :D

First, made a MDF ring for the filter bag to fit to. It is a nice snug fit on the extractor outlet pipe, and is fixed in place with a couple of blocks and then caulked for an airtight seal.

2011-10-08123414.jpg

Bag in place

2011-10-08124035.jpg

And in use

2011-10-08123812.jpg

I will probably add some kind of support to hold the bag horizontal on a permanent basis - just a hook suspended from the ceiling onto which the filter bag can be fixed.

Cheers

Karl

Steve,
It looks like one of those drums with an over-centre clamp round the top that allows the lid to be removed readily.

Bob

Hi Steve

To paraphrase South Park "there's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people" :D

Only joking.

No, it isn't necessary to remove all the hosing etc. As Bob says, the oil drum lid has a quick release strap fitted. Simply undo this, lift up the lid a touch so you can slide out the drum. The cyclone/lid set-up is then left suspended from the bottom of the extractor - trust me, it holds! Remove the bag of waste from the drum, pop a new bag in, and pop the lid back on.

Cheers

Karl

Hi Bob, I didn't express myself very well. I meant:

When you take the lid off to empty the drum, what happens to the cyclone and hose? Does it just hang in mid-air and you hope it doesn't drop off?

I can see it being an I-need-several-pairs-of-hands job.
S

I've a vaguely similar set up and drum but the cylcone is fixed on the wall and I've a short length of translucent flexy hose to allow me to take the lid off and more importantly to see when the bin is full. Once the bin is full and the hose full too, the cyclone stops working and the shavings go through the blower and into the filters. Not the end of the world for a bag filter as Karl uses but a right PITA if you have expensive cartridge filters which then have to be cleaned out by reverse airflow from an airline. Filthy job! Needs doing out in the open and even makes the sparrows cough!

Without some sort of visibility either the hose or a Chems-like clear cyclone, the first notification of the cyclonic action stopping is the sound of chips going through the blower and it is too late by then. DAMHIKT

Bob

Good point Bob - I have some perspex in the 'shop so I could make a viewing window in the side of the drum and bond a piece of perspex over it to show me when the drum is full. If the shavings get into the cyclone it's an even messier cleaning up job as they will fall all over the floor as soon as you take the lid off.

Cheers

Karl

I find that the shaving dont pack that densely in the drum, so if there is a little extra in my pipe (and possibly in the very bottom of your cyclone) the lifting the lid carefully, allows a hand to be inserted and the shavings pressed down. I found that I soon got the hang of it and now have minimal spills on the floor.

Bob

Hi Karl

Neat job you have done there. Also like the idea of "nearly full viewing window", very useful.

I am considering buying a couple of Chems cyclones. So if I proceed I will need a couple of drums - I can get an oil drum from a local garage, however, it won't have that neat lid you have on yours.

Do you mind telling me where you sourced yours ..... type of previous user as I am a long way from you, so need to look for similar original user locally?

Also have I understood it correctly that you put a waste bag inside the bin and if so do you use a special type of bag?

Charlie, you can usually find these on ebay although watch out for carriage charges.

The other way is to look around industrial units when they are used for delivery of raw materials. You might e able to scrounge 1 or 2 for the price of the suppliers deposit charge.

Bob

Thanks Charlie.

I got my oil drum off e-bay - £23 inc postage. This is the seller.

Bag wise - it needs big bags, with a 600mm diameter. Again, you can get these off e-bay.

Go for it - it's a great solution.

Cheers

Karl

Thanks guys.

Just searched ebay for plastic bags but did n't find any. Does anyone know where they got theirs please?

Back