Cyclone Dust Collection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just located a 120Ltr steel drum with removable lid for £15 in Doncaster.
Told these are brand new and never been used.

Here's my set up:

20211017_110100.jpg

The input is fed from Peter Parfitt's dust port (so multiple inputs) and the outlet goes to a Numatic NV750. The NV750 is switched on with a wireless remote control. The cyclone is a Dust Commander and the box is home built from MDF. The flexible pipe allows an amount of movement when the waste box is emptied. It also gives some movement if I accidentally turn on the NV750 with all of the dust ports closed.

I think that most cyclones are basically the same in terms of performance. The more expensive ones come with a variety of adapters to step up and step down the inlet and outlet ports.

So far, its been fine and I'm pleased with it.

I had a small plastic tub from bird food supplies. Maybe 30 cm dia 25 Co deep. Thought I would try it out, cut a ring of ply to strengthen the lid so the fixing bolts have something to work on. Put brick in it to stop it toppling over. Works fine so still using it. Need to empty more often but it is very quick to do. Being small it needed no reinforcement apart from the lid and takes up minimal floor space and was free. No need to over complicate.
I really like this idea! Sounds like it would be small enough to fit in my little shed (y)

I posted a picture on another thread, mine has a plastic barrel & has no reinforcement of any kind. As long as the volume in is equal to the volume being pulled out by the Vacuum cleaner or dust extractor then there isn't a problem at all, the barrel only collapses when the inlet gets blocked (or you forget to open the gate lol) Been using this for a few years now, the barrel has a Thein Baffle at the top & almost all of the sawdust ends up in the barrel, as someone else mentioned its amazing just how quickly they can fill up when you are doing certain things lol

baffle.jpg

Attachments

• dust extract.jpg
    dust extract.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
On the subject of dust extraction, can I ask where you have purchased your flexible hoses from please?

This is the cyclone I use to clean out the ash from the wood burning stove.

Cyclone (ash).jpg

The cyclone is a cheapie off Ebay. Can't remember what the tub held originally. No PRV as it's not likely to clog unless it's used for something other than ash

On the subject of dust extraction, can I ask where you have purchased your flexible hoses from please?

Try to use as little flexible hose as possible, once I had decided on a spot for the collector I built proper trunking & didn't use any 90 degree turns & only used the flexible hose where I had to. 90 degree bends & flexible hose will affect the suction of the collector by creating turbulence. I got my flexible hose from either Axminster or Rutlands, which ever one it was had an offer on at the time lol

This little device actuates a pressure relief valve to prevent the collapse of the debris drum. Spring loaded so you can adjust the relief pressure. £8.99.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B093GSSST7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've probably got vacuum breakers lying about that I could fit but it doesn't really happen very often, mostly when I am not paying proper attention to what I am doing lol At that sort of price I guess there is no excuse for not fitting one though.

smooth bore pipe seems to make an amazing difference. as suggested the ribs create loads of turbulence. some flexible ducting is inevitable but minimise it to the final connection and short connectors and the difference is amazing.
I've got the clear 100mm axminster duct and I love watching chips fly up the spout!

This little device actuates a pressure relief valve to prevent the collapse of the debris drum. Spring loaded so you can adjust the relief pressure. £8.99.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B093GSSST7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks @XH558 for this link - just ordered one but it's a long wait for it to arrive... 8th Dec.

Recently had my drum collapse (to some degree) the other day when not paying attention while sanding with an orbital sander. Guess I must have cut off the flow pyshing down too hard. Managed to reshape the barrel by filling with hot water from the shower and push the sides back out. Not perfect but will do for now.

Thanks @XH558 for this link - just ordered one but it's a long wait for it to arrive... 8th Dec.

Recently had my drum collapse (to some degree) the other day when not paying attention while sanding with an orbital sander. Guess I must have cut off the flow pyshing down too hard. Managed to reshape the barrel by filling with hot water from the shower and push the sides back out. Not perfect but will do for now.

Is your barrel a hard plastic? One I have is not, got it from a Vehicle Valeter it's what one of the cleaning fluids they use come in, think it was traffic film remover, anyway if the inlet gets restricted & the barrel gets sucked in as soon as I switch off the dust extractor it pops back into shape again, had it a few years so it's happened quite a few times & still not really a problem

Is your barrel a hard plastic? One I have is not, got it from a Vehicle Valeter it's what one of the cleaning fluids they use come in, think it was traffic film remover, anyway if the inlet gets restricted & the barrel gets sucked in as soon as I switch off the dust extractor it pops back into shape again, had it a few years so it's happened quite a few times & still not really a problem

It's one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JGVSWND/ref=pe_27063361_487055811_TE_3p_dp_1
After the incident I decided to buy another as I wasn't sure if it would be useable again - bought the 2nd before attempting to "resurrect". I was astonished at the price difference to the 1st one bought a year ago and the 2nd being over double - £15 something Oct 2020 and £33.99 2021!!!

It's one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JGVSWND/ref=pe_27063361_487055811_TE_3p_dp_1
After the incident I decided to buy another as I wasn't sure if it would be useable again - bought the 2nd before attempting to "resurrect". I was astonished at the price difference to the 1st one bought a year ago and the 2nd being over double - £15 something Oct 2020 and £33.99 2021!!!

Yes, amazing how prices change when someone realises there is a demand for what they are selling lol

Latest posts

Back