Cyclone Dust Collection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Al

Established Member
Reaction score
Comsidering a dust collection system with a cyclone unit.
I already have a Record dust collector on my table saw but considering a cyclone system on my router and other power tools.
Anyone any experience of these units?
there are so many options and most look as if they are the same product with a different label.
One thing I have picked up from on line videos is to use a steel drum not a plastic drum.

Any information or advice would be much appreciated.

This is my cheap cyclone cone bought off eBay

08D0C247-9C83-4E5E-A849-0E5C68A6FCA3.jpeg

It came from China as you can tell from the writing, it was the mark 3 which I believe is to do with the shaping of the inlet, the curve on the top, that said I also have an original Oneida dust deputy which must be 13 or 14 years old now that has an inlet pipe that goes straight into the side of the cone & both seem to work equally as well as one another, so I don’t think it really matters that much & whatever you get will be infinitely better than not having one

They are all much the same, the above is better than some because the snail wraps around and brings the airflow down under the incoming air rather that directly into it. Even one of those will work wonders for collecing just and saving your filters and stuff. There is a consideration to be made for the size of the unit, but assuming you just want it on a normal kind of vac or even the record power for small tools, these common 50mm versions will be fine. Naturally don't use one this small on a proper HVLP extractor as you'll choke it.

I need to sort one myself soon.

Plastic tubs will work fine but just need to be reinforced. Lots of people have done it. Do try to stick to a cylindrical container rather than a square one though as it helps the cyclone out.

I have something similar to the photo above, and love it. I can't remember when I last cleaned the filter on my vac, and there is virtually nothing in it. Almost everything (99% or so) goes into the barrel.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Any info is a help and I will seriously get one ordered.
Just need to find a suitable barrell now.

This is what I got this week for my new workshop just finished putting it together today once I know where tools and machines are going I can then decide how the ducting will run
5DEDA67A-6CB8-48A9-805D-B741219D51F2.jpeg

Very Nice.
I just wish I had space for the dust drum........
Never mind the other section.

This is my cheap cyclone cone bought off eBay

View attachment 119761

It came from China as you can tell from the writing, it was the mark 3 which I believe is to do with the shaping of the inlet, the curve on the top, that said I also have an original Oneida dust deputy which must be 13 or 14 years old now that has an inlet pipe that goes straight into the side of the cone & both seem to work equally as well as one another, so I don’t think it really matters that much & whatever you get will be infinitely better than not having one

Just ordered the same cyclcone from Banggood in China and got a £2.46 discounts so can't be bad.
Would you know the length of the M5 bolts that secure the cyclone to the drum lid?
Many Thanks.

I have a small cyclone here, connected to a Henry.

Only this week I was using it to suck up wet mud and a little bit of water...

Probably not recommended but it's what I was (successfully) doing all the same...

If you should happen to buy a second one at some point, the black dust commander at about £30 is my recommendation.
It is advertised as a conductive plastic, so antistatic hoses in and out will continue to be antistatic.
I've never used another type, so can only note that mine works well for me and is relatively thick robust plastic that has survived the drum being pulled over numerous times.

Does the Triton DCA300 Dust Collection Bucket serve the same purpose as a cyclone? Are they both used to reduce the amount of dust that goes directly into a shop vac?

Not come across this item as yet but I assume it is just a dust collection system and not actually a cyclone.

Just been reading the stickied post about dust extraction in another section of this forum and it sounds like the Triton dust collection bucket is an example of the "bin lid" type of dust separator, so it isn't going to remove fine dust. A cyclone is a much better for option for separating out the fine dust, to stop it reaching the shop vac.

I've got a few cyclones type things. the thein thing I made is great tbh some gets past but the vac drum itself has a sort of angled nozzle making that a sort of cyclones. it's amazing how quickly the sawdust can fill the full sized dustbin when I'm ripping thick stock. that's only on my sawbench and the vac is a 3 motor 3000w affair.
I've just connected an at155 up to the planer, spindle and bandsaw with 100mm clear plastic. very good suction. quite small bin= much changing.. the fine collector doesn't seem to get hardly any dust must be 99% maybe less on the bandsaw. the cyclones adds a high pitch whistle to the setup that's a bit annoying.

I had a small plastic tub from bird food supplies. Maybe 30 cm dia 25 Co deep. Thought I would try it out, cut a ring of ply to strengthen the lid so the fixing bolts have something to work on. Put brick in it to stop it toppling over. Works fine so still using it. Need to empty more often but it is very quick to do. Being small it needed no reinforcement apart from the lid and takes up minimal floor space and was free. No need to over complicate.

Back