Cyclone Central - what did you use for a drop box?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Woody

Established Member
Reaction score
I have purchased one of Chems' cyclones and am looking for ideas for the drop box.

What have other people who have installed the cyclones used please?

Photos of your installation would be helpful for inspiration too please.

A while ago we were given 4 brand new 45-gallon drums, delivered shrink-wrapped on a pallet, as a favour from a contact in the chemical industry (they're now long gone - probably been melted down and turned into potato peelers or used as a water butt in someone's allotment)

Providing you want one this big, and you don't know anyone who could get hold of one for you, then it might be worth calling in to some chemical companies in your local business park and see if they either have one spare or would put your name down for one when they next receive an order?

When I was looking into this I struggled to find a local company that used drums that had a removable lid (which is what you need) and came to the conclusion that eBay was the best option although the residual smell from the contents of some of those drums might make you gag.

Whatever you do, if you go down the route of 'make-your-own' out of plywood etc, do NOT...repeat DO NOT ....be tempted to make one panel out of polycarbonate clear sheeting so you can see when the dropbox gets full. DAMHIKT.

9fingers also made the excellent suggestion to separate the cyclone from the dropbox with a length of clear tube so that you can see when it needs emptying.

Not a cyclone as such, but a cyclonic action. I've just installed a cheapo 210l water butt:

DXsystemSMALL.jpg

...with the Ax dustbin lid (sits directly on top with no alterations to the butt) By using a couple of 90deg bends inside the bin a cyclonic action is generated and in testing it yesterday, nothing gets deposited (except a minute amount of dust) inside the Camvac (386 model)

I'd suggest that a large water butt as I use here might be a solution to the drop box query? - rob

I think I would prefer metal to plastic to avoid the possibility of the drum collapsing if (when!) I forget and close all the blast gates.

Apart from chemical companies what other industries use the drums with removable lids?

I was thinking of putting a "window" in the drum to see when it needs emptying, so I wonder why Roger says not to? Not sure that I understand 9fingers suggestion about clear tubing as to how this connects cyclone to lid of drum.

Before assembling the cyclone, I used the base as a template to make the hole in the lid.
A quick test with the gates closed did not give any indication of the barrel collapsing, but I only ran it for a few seconds.

Attachments

• rsz_dropbox.jpg
    rsz_dropbox.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 162
Charlie Woody":2eoeb935 said:
...thinking of putting a "window" in the drum to see when it needs emptying, so I wonder why Roger says not to? ...

I was wondering about this too, as I'm in the early stages of yet another rearrange of the garage and am planning a plumbed in system..

Does the window get scratched up or covered in dust and rendered opaque?

theartfulbodger":91imkyx1 said:
Charlie Woody":91imkyx1 said:
...thinking of putting a "window" in the drum to see when it needs emptying, so I wonder why Roger says not to? ...

I was wondering about this too, as I'm in the early stages of yet another rearrange of the garage and am planning a plumbed in system..

Does the window get scratched up or covered in dust and rendered opaque?

This thread from 2006 explains all although sadly I've lost the photo's !

And this is 9finger's (Bob's) excellent 'mod'

th_Mvi_0217.jpg

Hope he doesn't mind me linking it.

Charlie Woody":10py5cxx said:
I think I would prefer metal to plastic to avoid the possibility of the drum collapsing if (when!) I forget and close all the blast gates.
...as happened to me severial times yesterday :twisted: :twisted: You soon learn to check that at least one blast gate is open to let some air into the system, if you don't the water butt almost gets squashed flat by the vac - Rob

I have some 20ish gallon clip-top metal drums if anyone is interested - (I have one as a pooter pot for my extract) - three spare in Southampton / Whiteparish (Salisbury) and can probably get more if required, cost of shipping only, free if you collect, i will put up some dimentions is anyone is interested, P

Charlie Woody":1mp8wafa said:
Apart from chemical companies what other industries use the drums with removable lids?

The food industry. My drop box, 220ltr steel drum, was previously used to transport honey.

The metal drums i have are 19*28" (480*710mm)
About £8.50 to courier on a 5 day service - (everyone else has a west country surcharge) - offer open to whoever wants

Hi Phil

I tried to PM you yesterday and again this morning, but the messages seem to be "stuck" in the outbox and are not moving to the "sent" folder. I will raise with the moderators to try and get resolved.

Yes I would like one of your bins. Please keep one for me and hopefully you will get my PM soon.

If you have any left can I have one please for collection - I live in Winchester?

Rod

Latest posts

Back