Cyclone bin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a thought i just came across a 120 Litre Wheelie Bin in the photo and was wondering if i could use one for my cyclone :idea: I wounder Mock

Attachments

• 68427751_10157416014016241_5917107316200570880_n.jpg
    68427751_10157416014016241_5917107316200570880_n.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 223
I'm no expert on cyclones but I would imagine a wheelie bin isn't rigid enough to deal with the suction and would possibly implode if negative pressure was achieved. Especially with a 100mm pipe big extractor rather than a little Henry hoover type.

giphy.gif

Also consider how you will empty the bin. My council are unimpressed if I leave them a bin full of sawdust to collect and won't take it either as compostable waste or domestic waste.

A 120L wheely bin is great to move around but not at all easy to decant into anything else for disposal.
My cyclone delivers into a steel drum of about 60 litres which does fill up quickly* when the thicknesser gets busy but it can be emptied into sacks easily for collection by local chicken and horsey types.

* I'm currently experimenting with a sensor and sounder to tell me when the bin is full which if not attended to, fills up the cyclone and the shavings are sucked up into the roof mounted filter which is a right royal PITA to sort out.
The system is fitted but just need to do some woodwork to test it out.

Myfordman":3jwvxmn2 said:
Also consider how you will empty the bin. My council are unimpressed if I leave them a bin full of sawdust to collect and won't take it either as compostable waste or domestic waste.

A 120L wheely bin is great to move around but not at all easy to decant into anything else for disposal.
My cyclone delivers into a steel drum of about 60 litres which does fill up quickly* when the thicknesser gets busy but it can be emptied into sacks easily for collection by local chicken and horsey types.
I have a 220 litre water butt as the collector for my cyclone. The trick Bob, is to empty your drum detritus into a black plastic sack and then put it into the wheely bin. Issue sorted and I've never had a problem with the bin men taking it away - Rob

I have similarly solved the disposal method but my main observation to the OP was the difficult of manipulating the wheely bin when full.

More power to your elbow if you can control and tip into waste sack from a 220l drum Rob

Myfordman":2xwpog3k said:
More power to your elbow if you can control and tip into waste sack from a 220l drum Rob
Easy Bob...don a powered respirator, up tip the the butt contents onto the 'shop floor, shovel into two black waste sacks, thence to the wheely bin. Then depart the 'shop for half and hour to let the dust settle and head to the house for a mug of strong coffee...and a biscuit(s). Sorted - Rob

I have a 220 litre water butt as the collector for my cyclone. The trick Bob, is to empty your drum detritus into a black plastic sack and then put it into the wheely bin. Issue sorted and I've never had a problem with the bin men taking it away - Rob
Can i ask what sort of release value have you got on the water butt if any Mock

Back