CVT (Autogearbox)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny that he says Aisin CVTs are "ok"; I understand the first gen BMW Mini used them, and they had a terrible reputation. I don't know which (non-CVT) auto box was used in the second gen Mini but that too is basically a disposable item (it was something of a running joke amongst mechanics I knew at the time).
Aisin are one of the oldest manufacturers of these, and regular automatics as well. Pretty sure any Toyota made in several decades with an auto or cvt will have an Aisin, and who has a better reputation for reliability than Toyota.

We've been driving a Mitsubishi (petrol engined vehicle) with CVT for around 3 years, apart from the (initially disturbing) slightly higher than usual revving when load-carrying and steep hill climbing, we love it.
With cruise control on motorways and an easily achieved 60+ mpg it's been a good experience.

Considering an automatic car as changing gears is now getting quite tedious and tiring

plus the clutch pedal seems to be getting harder to depress.
as I'm reminded by the crunch of gears occasionally when the pedal is not fully depressed!!

It seems most automatics are now fitted with CVTs (consistently variable transmission).

Any Auto drivers out there and what are your thoughts??

Any feedback would be most welcome

Gerry
As has been mentioned CVT is only 1 of the types of automatic and fitted to a limited number of car models. There are 4 main kinds of automatic.

The CVT in some models is unreliable. Honda CVTs are generally OK

The DCT automatic in Ford vehicles is an absolute disaster, Ford been counters knowing put in transmissions that will fail. Just Google DPS6 dual-clutch transmission known as the PowerShift transmission. Or more widely known as the PowerShitTransmission. A DCT is generally a poor choice for round town use, they don’t deal well with the indecisive stop go nature of town traffic, they are superb for racing, up shift well

The conventional automatic in vehicles is relatively bulletproof but has a well deserved name “slush box” this doesn’t mean that it’s bad just not crisp.

The Mazdas automatic transmission, the SkyActive, is excellent. It has the benefit of the torque converter, but can lock into a gear even 1st like a manual.

I’ve driven manuals for 50 years and hundreds of thousands of miles, both cars and trucks up to 7.5 tonnes, I now have a manual 2.5 litre diesel pickup with a GVM at around 3,500kg and a daily driver Mazda 2 automatic.

The fuel efficiency of the Mazda is superb, better than a manual, the cruse control combined with the automatic box makes 100 km trips easy. I will upgrade the Mazda 2 to a 3 or CX30 with adaptive cruse control when car prices and supply gets better. I will not get a manual car again there are few benefits and many drawbacks.

Bottom line. For a car for you go automatic, but do your homework specially if not buying new. You will not regret the change.

Have driven three cars with automatic transmission. First was a Ford Grenada 2.8. A basic 3 speed box with kickdown. Nothing fancy to write home about but cruised well. Second was a 2.3 BMW 3 series 5 speed with tiptronic. Nice drive and I used to use the tiptronic quite a lot. I felt that I made a better choice of what gear to be in than the gearbox did in full auto mode. Gear changes were very smooth and crisp. Third ( my current vehicle) is a 2.0 VW Amarok with an 8 speed auto transmission and 4 wheel drive. Simply gorgeous to drive. The gearbox just seems to know exactly which gear to be in all the time. Its very adaptable as I use it for various functions: loading and carrying tools and materials, normal road use and towing a 1800kg caravan. It copes superbly with whatever I ask it to do. Has a sports mode and tiptronic style manual select which I never use as standard mode seems to be best in all situations. What I do use though (as I drive off road quite a lot) is the auto hill ascent and descent features which are brilliant. Brilliant faultless and sooooo smooth transmission

Have driven three cars with automatic transmission. First was a Ford Grenada 2.8. A basic 3 speed box with kickdown. Nothing fancy to write home about but cruised well. Second was a 2.3 BMW 3 series 5 speed with tiptronic. Nice drive and I used to use the tiptronic quite a lot. I felt that I made a better choice of what gear to be in than the gearbox did in full auto mode. Gear changes were very smooth and crisp. Third ( my current vehicle) is a 2.0 VW Amarok with an 8 speed auto transmission and 4 wheel drive. Simply gorgeous to drive. The gearbox just seems to know exactly which gear to be in all the time. Its very adaptable as I use it for various functions: loading and carrying tools and materials, normal road use and towing a 1800kg caravan. It copes superbly with whatever I ask it to do. Has a sports mode and tiptronic style manual select which I never use as standard mode seems to be best in all situations. What I do use though (as I drive off road quite a lot) is the auto hill ascent and descent features which are brilliant. Brilliant faultless and sooooo smooth transmission
What box is that an auto or dsg?

Agreed the 2.0 dsg is fabulous.

Just remember to change the gearbox oil at 60k.

Cheers James

Latest posts

Back