CVT (Autogearbox)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastminute

Established Member
Reaction score
Considering an automatic car as changing gears is now getting quite tedious and tiring

plus the clutch pedal seems to be getting harder to depress.
as I'm reminded by the crunch of gears occasionally when the pedal is not fully depressed!!

It seems most automatics are now fitted with CVTs (consistently variable transmission).

Any Auto drivers out there and what are your thoughts??

Any feedback would be most welcome

Gerry

They're becoming more common in the states. The first versions were a bit troublesome or sluggish or both, but I haven't heard anything since about them. BIL has a honda with a 1.5T (Which is a tiny engine for the united states) but it seems to work fine. I asked him if it was a dog and he said that he thought it was fine.

FIL also has one and said he thought it was lacking tug but it was good enough, and that the salesman said "they're great". Of course, that's what salesmen say.

They are much better than they used to be. For some people including myself they take a bit of getting used to and like all machines work best if used as the designer intended. If you by a small engined low weight efficient car and expect to tow you may be disapointed If what you want is trouble free travel on busy roads they are probably for you. As always you get no more than you pay for.

it depends a bit on which car it’s in. The first one I ever drove was a DAF who I guess were the Dutch originator. It was back in the 1970s it was noisy and gutless but had a tiny engine. The next one I drove was an American people carrier, can’t remember what brand but it was a hire carin California about 10 years ago. It was noisy, gutless and horrid.
but in 2011 I bought a Toyota Auris hybrid and we still have it and love it. It is spookily quiet and given the hybrid electric kick, along with its 1800cc petrol engine, has more go than the pure petrol engine.
to be nice to drive, they really must be engineered to be quiet, as by design, if you put your foot down, the engine will go straight to high revs, and the revs will stay constantly high until your speed rises, and the revs will gradually decrease.
it can feel a little wired at first as engine revs seem to have a mind of their own, but done well, they give the best economy and best acceleration going.
toyota converted me,

I have a VW transporter with dsg and it's fantastic. Changes as smoothly as an auto.

The CVT transmission in Audi aren't supposed to be as good. Nor the ones in Fiat motorhomes.

Other models I don't know about.

What car were you thinking of buying?

Cheers James

I have owned an Audi with a cvt and was generally fine in normal driving but frustrating should you want to drive quicker. I now drive a VW with the dsg and would agree with James that it is fantastic, very smooth and generally finds itself in the right gear when you need it.

My last Audi A6 (2016) was my first modern auto and I found it to be very good even when towing a heavy 1800kg twin axle caravan and I would happily have it again, my current Mercedes SUV also has a 9 speed auto and it's excellent, smooth fast and again no issues, although both had floppy paddle overide the novelty of playing with those soon wore off. I wouldn't willingly go back to a manual gearbox. My wife is now on her fifth Mini Cooper the last two with auto box and very happy with those as well.

My last Audi A6 (2016) was my first modern auto and I found it to be very good even when towing a heavy 1800kg twin axle caravan and I would happily have it again, my current Mercedes SUV also has a 9 speed auto and it's excellent, smooth fast and again no issues, although both had floppy paddle overide the novelty of playing with those soon wore off. I wouldn't willingly go back to a manual gearbox. My wife is now on her fifth Mini Cooper the last two with auto box and very happy with those as well.
I'm guessing that was a bigger engine car with a trad auto box? Almost a perfect combination.

Cheers James

I have a VW transporter with dsg and it's fantastic. Changes as smoothly as an auto.

The CVT transmission in Audi aren't supposed to be as good. Nor the ones in Fiat motorhomes.

Other models I don't know about.

What car were you thinking of buying?

Cheers James

HI James...now driving manual Nissan Note..size and power is fine...thought maybe the auto version might suit or the Honda Jazz??

CVT gearboxes seem to be becoming more popular (possibly due to sales of hybrid vehicles), but there are a range of other solutions.

DSG gearboxes commonly fitted to VW, Skoda, Seat and Audi (and other makers) are effectively dual automated manual gearboxes. There are also some simpler automated manual gearboxes.

Torque converter gearboxes are the traditional solution. An 8 speed version is fitted to my Peugeot and many other mainstream car makes.

All major manufacturers fitting automatic gearboxes will (no doubt) have chosen the technology for its smoothness, longevity, cost, weight and characteristics (sporty, flappy paddle, simply press and go) required for the brand and market.

There are horror stories around, but the major manufacturers are unlikely to continue fitting poorly performing units. Best to go with tested technology (as in many things) than be an early adopter.

Personally I have had an occasional automatic over the years. I would not consider going back to a manual. The old days of high fuel consumption, power losses and only three speeds are long gone!

I've had an auto 1.4 Jazz for a year now, drives just as well (taking into account the small engine size) as the previous autos I've had, 3 Mitsi Spacestars, Mazda 6 and a Deawoo Tacuma.

It seems most automatics are now fitted with CVTs (consistently variable transmission).
I thought CVTs were pretty rare; the Nissan Juke being one of the few cars I can think of that comes with one. Having said that, Category:Vehicles with CVT transmission - Wikipedia indicates there are a few (though some I looked at aren't current models).

Having driven a Nissan PJuke on loan for a few days I'd admit the CVT wasn't bad - though it is a little odd to accelerate with the engine note unchanging.

Many larger/premium cars with auto gearboxes come with ZF's 8HP (ZF 8HP transmission - Wikipedia), because, frankly, it's superb. If you wanted an auto, a car fitted with that box would be my choice.

The auto fitted to the third gen Mini (F55/56/57 models) is OK too; though I don't know what it is (possibly a BMW design).

There are horror stories around, but the major manufacturers are unlikely to continue fitting poorly performing units. Best to go with tested technology (as in many things) than be an early adopter.

In the states, ford put a CVT in a car that was already marginal for power (the ford 500), but I understand them to be like a caterpillar tractor - cat built drivelines stronger than the engines while their competitors boasted about power. The rule of thumb was you had to wear a cat out to have driveline problems - if you did something otherwise out of bounds, the engine would just stall.

their competitors disappeared over time mostly due to the perception that their undercarriage and drivelines were poor.

(the ford 500 is panned due to the poor acceleration and was cancelled, but they still run fine).

the other damage to the CVT here was Nissan offering them. Nissan has shot themselves in the foot in this market with most of their recent offerings. The leaf had no battery thermal management early on, and as far as cars go, they offered extremely unreliable automatics and CVTs and then tried to sell the cars based on them being more stylish and with better technology (I think they have or had a share in the operation that makes the auto trans for their small cars).

There was some resistance to autos with OD here in the states early on because they were less reliable - they replaced really strong (but inefficient) two speed autos. I don't think anyone wants a 2 speed auto these days.

Any Auto drivers out there and what are your thoughts??
Any feedback would be most welcome

Hello Gerry
If you are considering a vehicle with CVT transmission - have a look at what auto mechanic with 50+ years experience has to say about that:

TLDR: stay away from Jatco (Nissan affiliate) made transmissions. These are used by pretty much all car manufacturers except Toyota and Honda.

I personally do not have any Toyota CVT experience, but Honda CVTs are reasonably good. Just make sure to keep up with CVT fluid change schedule.

I thought CVTs were pretty rare; the Nissan Juke being one of the few cars I can think of that comes with one. Having said that, Category:Vehicles with CVT transmission - Wikipedia indicates there are a few (though some I looked at aren't current models).

Having driven a Nissan PJuke on loan for a few days I'd admit the CVT wasn't bad - though it is a little odd to accelerate with the engine note unchanging.

Many larger/premium cars with auto gearboxes come with ZF's 8HP (ZF 8HP transmission - Wikipedia), because, frankly, it's superb. If you wanted an auto, a car fitted with that box would be my choice.

The auto fitted to the third gen Mini (F55/56/57 models) is OK too; though I don't know what it is (possibly a BMW design).
zf or Gertag transmissions are fine as are VW dsg.

Lots of ford autos seem to fail esp in galaxy.

Cheers James

Hello Gerry
If you are considering a vehicle with CVT transmission - have a look at what auto mechanic with 50+ years experience has to say about that:

TLDR: stay away from Jatco (Nissan affiliate) made transmissions. These are used by pretty much all car manufacturers except Toyota and Honda.

I personally do not have any Toyota CVT experience, but Honda CVTs are reasonably good. Just make sure to keep up with CVT fluid change schedule.

Funny that he says Aisin CVTs are "ok"; I understand the first gen BMW Mini used them, and they had a terrible reputation. I don't know which (non-CVT) auto box was used in the second gen Mini but that too is basically a disposable item (it was something of a running joke amongst mechanics I knew at the time).

Funny that he says Aisin CVTs are "ok"; I understand the first gen BMW Mini used them, and they had a terrible reputation.
I was under the impression that 1st gen Minis had either CVT (with Motorola TCU/TCM and bad reputation) or Aisin/automatic. It is my understanding that buyers of 1st gen Mini are usually specifically looking for Aisin rather than CVT versions.
Do not know much about the Mini though, so the above may be totally wrong.

Hello Gerry

Jatco was the brand that I couldn't remember.

Gerry, treat yourself and get an auto - most of us that have done would not want to go back to manuals.
With hybrids and electric cars soon set to dominate new vehicle sales, it won't be many years before all except a nostalgic few will be driving anything other than an automatic.

CVT's do sound different to manual and earlier auto gearboxes, but it is something you get used to with time.
Toyotas have been trouble free for us. I now have a Subaru XV, the CVT in that is the best so far for both driving pleasure and good mpg.

Back