Cutting your own veneers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to build a new worktop and sink arrangement for our utility room and wouldn't mind having a go at cutting my own veneers. I have read that you need to use thicker (3mm) veneers for worksurfaces but does this cause any problems with joint movement over using thinner veneers?

I was planning on, resawing, sanding, shooting, taping and then glueing. IS there anything i've missed out.

Slightly OT but, the sink for this project, i was going to cast from concrete. Has anyone had any experience in finishing concrete? I read somewhere that you can oil it, then finish with wax but i can't see how this will withstand any hot water.

Andy

You could have a read of this excitingly titled book.

"Concrete Countertops: Design, Forms and Finishes for the New Kitchen and Bathroom!

1561584843.02._BO01,224,223,220_PIsitb-dp-arrow,TopRight,22,-21_SH30_PE30_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Concrete Countertops: Design, Forms and Finishes for the New Kitchen and Bathroom
Fu-Tung Cheng, Eric Olsen

Synopsis
The complete, step-by-step, full-colour how-to book of designing, forming, mixing, pouring and finishing concrete countertops by the undisputed master of the technique. Fu-Tung Cheng is a California architect and designer who has reinvented the kitchen/bathroom countertop using the medium of concrete. Countertops made of custom-formed, coloured, and finished concrete can look like marble, glass, granite, gold, or sculpture - the look is limited only by the imagination. Concrete Countertops covers every angle of designing, forming, mixing, pouring, colouring, trowelling, in-laying (e.g., brass rods to serve as a drainboard), and finishing decorative concrete countertops, all written by the man who basically invented the form. Unique: this is the only book of its kind on a very hot trend in kitchen and bathroom design. Complete and authoritative: author is a well-connected, internationally renowned expert who essentially invented the medium.

Someone, somewhere recommended this book to me (probably here), and its been sat in my Amazon wish list ever since, as its one of those books that its useful to buy at the exact moment you need, but not really regular reading!

Adam

Thats the book i've been looking at. The forming, mixing, pouring is no problem, it's just the finishing. I'm using this as a sample for the main concrete worktops for some of the units in the new kitchen

Andy

Latest posts

Back