Cutting Worktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewm

Established Member
Reaction score
I am sure this has been asked before but a search doesn't throw up anything specific.

If cutting NON round edge worktop is it still appropriate to trim with a router or would a circular saw do just as well since there is not requirement to bevel the radiused edge?

Cheers,

Andrew

If the cut is clean enough then there is no need to trim with a router. If it's a laminated top then the cut probably won't be good enough, and trimming with a router will get a better results.
Presumably we are talking about the cross cut piece? and that the long piece will be a factory edge and not need any cutting at all.
John

JohnElliott":3kllwu2l said:
Presumably we are talking about the cross cut piece? and that the long piece will be a factory edge and not need any cutting at all.

Yes, that's it. It's laminated but has an aluminium front edge, hence no curve.

Andrew

*bounce* this back to the top with a quick question...

any further suggestions before I cut the overhang off our kitchen breakfast bar worktop to make way for the new fridge freezer?

dont want to mess it up.

plan is to tape with masking, get a nice line and cut right down the cross cut with a circular power saw...

any special blades better than others (very sharpe ones clearly!) and any special router bit to clean the edge..

any help much appreciated as ever gents..

Cut from the underside, not the top. If you are going to trim with a router then place your saw cut about 3mm from your cut line.

As long as the saw blade is sharp then the number of teeth make little difference.

If your worktop is already in place then you are likely to chip the top with a circ saw, in this case I would go with a handsaw as a jigsaw will wander too much.

Jason

cheers Jason, unit is already in place and cant be removed sadly.

guess its hand saw sharpening time :)

thx for taking the time to reply, appreciated.

Back