Cutting Wooden Discs/Columns

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean

Established Member
Reaction score
Now then folks

I am in the planning stage of making a Flute stand and a clarinet stand. Both require a disc or short column of wood to support the instrument, I have considered using a large dowel but can only get softwood hereabouts and I would rather use Mahogany, Oak or Ash. I was planning to do the turning on my local schools lathe, but they have closed the workshop, so I'm stumped apart from planing the square into a cylinder can anybody think of an alternative. I am looking for finished diameters of 18 & 50/60 mm.

Thanks in anticipation

Bean

Bean,

How thick/long does it need to be?
I have a jasper circle jig for my router that should do those diameters. It needs a 1/8" pilot hole. The thickness of the work is only limited by how long the 1/4" cutter is. Would this let you do the job?

Once upon a time... I used one of those stands to hold a power drill to use as the motor for turning wood. You chuck in a faceplate or centre and trust most of you appendages to the gods. I used it to turn a couple of pieces, and maybe you could rig up (or buy) something similar to get you through this project.
Another idea - how about shaping the wood as well as you can with planes/spokeshaves/draw knives etc etc and then chuck it into a drill press for final sanding.
Hell I'm just throwing out ideas here! :shock:
Finally I went to a Woodland exhibition on Sunday where they had a couple of guys pumping away on pole lathes! Rig one of them up and you could turn out the stands in a matter of minutes!

Hi, Bean,

If you're really stuck, and it wouldn't spoil your project, when you get around to it, I'll turn them for you (gratis). :wink: I'll send you a round tuit as well. :roll: PM your spec. if you want.

Cheers, Trev.

I seem to remember a technique from one of the Great English Woodshop episodes where Mr Free used a roundover bit in a router table and took off all four corners off a length of wood to produce a custom dowel.

I'm not sure you could get a 60mm diameter this way, though.

'Nother vote for a spokeshave here, although if you have the time and space a pole lathe is more fun. Perhaps for the indoor bodger a pole-less pole lathe using a bungee cord would be better though... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

I know this isn't much help to you (you need a lathe for this) but about 10 years ago I made this:
Clarinet%20Stand1.jpg

Clarinet%20Stand2.jpg

I was quite pleased with it, especially as my turning leaves something to be desired.

Have you thought of making a router box? Made from MDF it will have a bottom, two ends, and a top with a slot down the centre wide enough to take your guide bush. Your blank sits inside this box, on a nail at each end (like tailstocks). You can then rotate it as you move your router along the slot. Should get a reasonable finish this way too.
Cheers
Steve

Well the site came up trumps again !!

Trev thanks for the offer I may well take you up on it, if all else fails.

Dave I am not familiar with a Jasper Jig could you explain more please.

Alf & Waterhead what do you consider to be a good spokeshave, apart from a LN (out of range due to Flute Purchase), a Clifton I seem to remember seeing what looked and felt like a good one at the midlands show.

Thank you for all your contributions

Busily wondering if i could really fit a lath into the workshop..........Bean

Bean, if you find you can get a Lathe in the workshop I have one for sale. It's nothing spectacular, it's the one made by Ferm that Screwfix sells but it's new, it's been setup, but not used and is now taking up much needed space. It would require collection though as it is heavy. If you, or anyone else is interested PM me ;)

If you cannot manage either the Boggs type or the small LN shaves I would indeed go for the Clifton http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=CLI550

I believe I read recently somewhere that the latest version of these has an improved (perhaps thicker?) iron but I don't recall the details.

You do not actually need a concave iron to shave a round section - a flat shave will do. You could tune a simple Stanley I guess but Alf would be more reliable on advice about this option I feel.

Don't forget a concave scraper. Depending on the burr you turn, you can make these very aggressive or very fine cutting as you please. You can file your own section too - so you could file one to the diameter you are making and use that (analogous to a form tool on a lathe). I often file a scraper to fit a moulding I need to scrape, (it's quicker and much better than Cucumbering about with sandpaper and dubbing all the edges that were meant to be sharp)

Bean,
This is a jasper jig
B00009K77D.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I had to get mine from the states, as you can see it suits me well, set up in inches :shock: The calibration is for cutting holes but I don't see why you should not cut discs. It fits straight on to my old POF500 router. :D

Bean,

Hmm... Well if you could reliably get an old Stanley of Record I'd say go with that, but for "outta the box" satisfaction I unhesitatingly recommend the Veritas low angle spokeshave and a scraper to fit, as Chris suggests. Trust me, it'll get you thinking -quite rightly- that spokeshaves are just about the most fun you can have with a sharp blade and a piece of wood. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Looks nice Alf, but I have dug deep into my Grandfather's tool chest and found 3, I am going to clean them and give them a sharpen and have a go.

Bean

Bean":3av9ccrs said:
I have dug deep into my Grandfather's tool chest and found 3, I am going to clean them and give them a sharpen and have a go.
Better still. :D Descriptions? Pics? C'mon, you can't leave me in suspense like this! :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Impressed at the high standard of drive-by gloats exhibited by the members of this forum. :lol:

Alf
These are good sturdy workmans tools, my grandfather repaired railway wagons with them, when they were made of oak. I think they are certainly pre-war as he started working for the railway in the 1920's. I also have his bits and braces, tool chest sadly in poor condition as it was left out for 25 years.

The spoke shaves are Iron with a jappaned surface, 1 small pair convex and flat and 1 large flat. All are Record with machined patterns on the bodies and handles.
Sadly there are no pictures as I do not own a digital camera.

Alf did I mention the planes ?? :wink:

Bean

DaveL":2zhms3h3 said:
Bean":2zhms3h3 said:
Alf did I mention the planes ?? :wink:
Vrrroooooooooommmmmmm.............. :wink:
You forgot the "Meep meep" :roll: :lol:

No, you didn't mention the planes. :( Do feel free to spill all the, er, beans. (Unintended pun, guv, honest :oops: ) Just the fact you have tools you've inherited makes me green with envy. :mrgreen:

Cheers, Alf

Wondering once again whatever happened to great grandfather's shipwright tools all those years ago. :(

A lovely wooden Smoother that took a while to master the art of setting but it leaves a lovely finish.

And then theres all of the Augers, Braces, Chisels and rules

VVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRoooooooooommmmmmmm Beep Beep :wink:

Bean

Back