Cutting veneers.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxie

Established Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of cutting some thickish veneers on my bandsaw and got to thinking about the correct way to do it. Do you set the fence to the thickness of the veneer or do you move the fence each time? Could not get the right terminology, in essence do you trap the veneer between blade and fence or allow the veneer to fall away from the stock! I am sure there is an argument for either way, but just thought I would get opinions from the learned.

John

Ditto to the above. If the saw isn't great, you'll probably find one of those pivot type fixtures that sticks to the inside of the fence easier to use than a tall fence.

You can get lucky even on cheaper saws, though. I didn't on one that wasn't that cheap and the pivot was far better for cutting veneers. bandsaw is long gone now, but I can cut 1/8th veneers by hand without issue (not recommended unless you like that kind of thing as a method of exercise and stimulation).

What is thickish?

There are a couple of common ways to make or (resaw) your own veneer depending on the kit you have. The most common is to use a single point fence on the BS using at least a 1/2" blade (preferably bigger)

here's a vid explaining the basics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i_NnPFUFTA

TheTiddles":1qr52ikw said:
The first method

Aidan
Yep. I always plane a fresh face/edge on the p/t to go against the b/s fence and table as well. If you're sawing wide veneers use a new(ish) blade (3tpi) and check the set up on the saw before you start work. Also crank up the blade tension to max but release it at the end of the session.

A really indispensable bit of kit for finishing the veneers to size (generally around 2mm) is a drum sander.

Edit: very, very sloooooow feed as well - Rob

Back