Cutting through ceramic tiled worktop in situ.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a straight line. I'm worried that whatever I true to use as a guide rail will just get ground away, and thus not stay straight.
Not sure if it's available in your country. I have an electrical multi tool marketed as a "Renovator". Multi purpose for difficult cutting applications. It inlcudes an offset ceramic saw blade for getting into corners. A capital outlay, but the answer to your problem and any future toughies!

OK, The tiles showed no willingness to detach from the MDF substrate, so a found a piece of scrap 18mm MDF and clamped it to the worktop.
Multi-tool with what I think was appropriate blade hardly scratched the surface.
Switched to angle grinder with diamond blade, much better. A bit scary when I got through the tile and adhesive and into the MDF, as it grabbed the blade somewhat, and my little angle grinder is an awkward sod, as the switch is sprung return, making it hard to get a good two-handed grip.
Nevertheless, It didn't turn out too bad.
Next time I'm in a store and spot some aluminium or black plastic angle I might buy a length, though. It would look a bit neater.
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Not sure if it's available in your country. I have an electrical multi tool marketed as a "Renovator". Multi purpose for difficult cutting applications. It inlcudes an offset ceramic saw blade for getting into corners. A capital outlay, but the answer to your problem and any future toughies!
Thanks, Henniep. I looked it up, and that's what we generally refer to as an oscillating multi tool over here. I have a Bosch version, although I believe Fien(sp?) invented them.
I tried that first, didn't even scratch the surface. Maybe a different blade might have had more effect.

If you can get hold of the tool used for cutting into walls for cabling this would be good. Basically an angle grinder but comes with a flat shoe to guide it, this encloses the blade and includes a dust extraction facility. I am sure someone on here will know the proper name for it. They normally have two blades but can be used with just one. I bet your local tool hire place will have one, and shouldn't be too expensive to hire. Worth it just for the dust extraction, there will be a LOT of dust !

If you can get hold of the tool used for cutting into walls for cabling this would be good. Basically an angle grinder but comes with a flat shoe to guide it, this encloses the blade and includes a dust extraction facility. I am sure someone on here will know the proper name for it. They normally have two blades but can be used with just one. I bet your local tool hire place will have one, and shouldn't be too expensive to hire. Worth it just for the dust extraction, there will be a LOT of dust !
Thanks. That's a great idea. Think it's called a wall chaser.
However, it's done and dusted(!) now.
I'll remember that if there's ever a next time.

Last edited:
I have been using a Dremel type rotary tool with a diamond blade to cut some glass tiles and this setup would work for your worktop tiles.

I got a diamond blade for the Dremel quick release arbor and combined that with a Dremel right angle adapter. I clamped the tile with a straight edge bit of plywood that I used as the guide for the blade - spraying a bit of water with a plant spray bottle.

You could hot glue a straight edge to the tiles, cut those first and then circular saw/jigsaw/multi tool the worktop. I imagine you will want to set back the tile a couple of mm from the worktop cut to allow for regrouting?

[I cannot now imagine how I managed without my “Dremel” - it gets used for so much]

cheers

Edit:

yes I realised after I'd written it that you had actually done it lol

ditto

Last edited:
Just for completeness, here is the Bosch “Dremel” with Dremel attachments - definitely more dainty than what you actually used!

AE44A943-A773-449D-B702-D2F0ABB5E0CE.jpeg
99B481C1-2949-4AB0-AD72-3B59D5F4767E.jpeg

cheers

Back