Cutting Stock Dorset

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Bevis

Reaction score
I have a 10mm*145mm*1500mm piece of rosewood that I need cut up into various pieces for stock for a box making project. I don't fancy cutting it myself then having to square and plane everything by hand. Does anyone know of any individuals or companies that offer this service in the Dorset area, preferably near Dorset?

Table saw? bandsaw?Jigsaw? you must have at l;east one of these.
Either will work, although the bandsaw and jigsaw cut surface will need a bit of planing / sanding

I would put that plank of very nice expensive, and rare wood to one side and start with some cheaper stuff.
Make a shooting board, learn to plane, hand saw etc.
Then have another look at that rosewood, it would be a shame to spoil such a nice piece of wood.
Make your mistakes on the cheap stuff.

Pete

Racers":akculhs9 said:
I would put that plank of very nice expensive, and rare wood to one side and start with some cheaper stuff.
Make a shooting board, learn to plane, hand saw etc.
Then have another look at that rosewood, it would be a shame to spoil such a nice piece of wood.
Make your mistakes on the cheap stuff.

Pete

Exactly this. If you aren’t confident to work the basics out, using a piece of one of the rarest and most expensive woods available is not a good plan, not that something being a really bad idea means you just can’t...

Aidan

All of the above...
If you are truly new to woodworking, making a box out of rosewood is like saying you want to try to build a car, so it will be a rolls royce.

If you only have hand tools out of choice, then there is a LOT to be said for some power tools to take the drudgery out of woodwork.

If you only have hand tools out of having no money, then that really comes back to not having enough tools to do that rosewood justice.
But, again, its only 10 mm thick, That is not too hard to cut with a hand saw if you really truly madly deeply want to make a box out of it. =D> .

sunnybob":35t4ia3g said:
All of the above...
If you are truly new to woodworking, making a box out of rosewood is like saying you want to try to build a car, so it will be a rolls royce. =D> .

But isn't that what Charles Rolls and Henry Royce did :)

No.
They had money to pay other people to do the work for them.
If you have people to boss about and the money to buy the parts, then you can make anything as good as you want it to be.

you could enquire of yandles of martock (near yeovil) they would probably know where to get it cut if they dont do it themselves, yandles.co.uk

If there's anyone in the Birmingham area who can do this I'd be interested as I have neither the skills or the kit right now to get boards down to PAR!

Latest posts

Back