CUTTING planer blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
ok, so I got some custom blades for my thicknesser planer, I now need to find somwhere to machine the 4 slot/holes in them for me.
I have an old blade as a pattern, just need to find somewhere that can cut the new HSS blades for me.

any ideas anyone, I have been told by somebody that the blades are SO hard that I`ll need them laser or water cut........

cheers

steve

Steve,

You could try RA Palmer at Northfleet/Gravesend

R A Palmer & Son
Unit K3, Kent Kraft Industrial Estate
Gravesend , Kent DA11 9SR

They are basically a sharpening service but they should be able to advise, even if they can't do it.

Kityuser,

Drilling/milling HSS is normally done with the metal in a soft state. After hardening, the blades are then finish ground. If your blades are not yet hardened, you should be able to get them drilled/slotted at any general machining shop - yellow pages maybe?.

there's a thought.. A while back, Screwfix sent the wrong set of replacement blades for my thicknesser; way too thick and no slots to clear the guide pins. If I could get them cut somehow, they'd make perfect blades for some custom tools.

If the blades are already hardened you would need to get the holes spark eroded in the correct places. It's not a very difficult task once copper electrodes are made to produce the holes but is likely to be rather costly.

apparently it should`nt be a problem to grind slots into the blades rather than holes i.e. right to the back of the blade.

I suppose I could then get the back of the slots welded up?? i.e. giving me elongated holes..........

Kityuser wrote:

I suppose I could then get the back of the slots welded up?? i.e. giving me elongated holes

PLEASE DON'T CONSIDER THIS!.

It will be difficult to end up with a balanced pair.
Welding will weaken the integrity of the blade. Were talking about razor sharp metal spinning at 5 - 10000rpm here.

IT COULD PROVE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS! :shock:

Ike

Steve

I think spark erosion is the process you need if they are already hardened. Look in your local yellow pages

Latest posts

Back