Cutting on worktop/ blade clearance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roboboyo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
This is probably the most stupidest question with the most obvious answer, but I’m not the sharpest tool in the box (as a rule) but when cutting on a worktop (using a rail and plunge saw), is the only option to cut at the end of the bench for clearance or is there a smart way to elevate the work piece off the work top?

I’ve got a festoon type mft table top from cnc design

Thanks guys

The MFT top is designed to be sacrificial....ie, set your blade depth so that it cuts 2 or 3mm into the top and you will get a clean splinter free cut on both the upper and lower edges of your material.

If you really dont want to cut into your MFT, you can elevate the material by packing it up but in my opinion, it's a right faff.
I cut into my MFT all the time and it takes YEARS before the top becomes worn out and needs replacing.....

The MFT top is designed to be sacrificial....ie, set your blade depth so that it cuts 2 or 3mm into the top and you will get a clean splinter free cut on both the upper and lower edges of your material.

If you really dont want to cut into your MFT, you can elevate the material by packing it up but in my opinion, it's a right faff.
I cut into my MFT all the time and it takes YEARS before the top becomes worn out and needs replacing.....
Thanks for the fino mate,
So your mf table top has cut marks all over it? Is the material self healing?Sorry, I’m new to this!
Thanks for taking the time to reply

I have 4 little sacrificial strips of OSB that float around on my bench. Those sit under and raise the workpiece up by 12mm. It's not an MFT. If it was I would probably follow disinteriors advice and not even bother with the strips
Martin

I have an actual Festool MFT table and a 1200 x 2400 MFT top that is cut upon extensively......

Here's a picture of my 1200 x 2400 top and my Festool table.....note the tracksaw cuts!!
20211201_112408.jpg
20211201_112558.jpg

Others use a sacrificial sheet of 6mm mdf?
The advantage - cleaner cuts against more wood,
The disadvantage - the mdf 'scrap' is nearly always the wrong size ;-)
Option, stand offs, which plug into the MFT dog holes. Amazon or Benchdogs

I’ve been routing a sacrificial strip into my MFT tops for years; saves on the wear and tear, easy and cheap to replace. For other cuts I use 6mm spoiler boards - usually MDF offcuts as I have plenty, but almost anything would do, corrugated cardboard, old Amazon boxes etc… Benchdogs make bench top protectors - little buttons with a grippy pad on top - but I prefer to have the whole of the workpiece supported. If you’re new to the whole MFT thing, then there’s a playlist with all my MFT & MFT-related videos in it here - http://bit.ly/MFT-related - might be of interest?

HTH P

Me too. Cheap as chips, and lasts a surprisingly long time.
I also find it really useful to stick drill bits, pencils and knives into, so they don't roll away!
I do the same, mine have lasted years and they provide a place for my supervisor to obstruct my work,
40907E74-833D-4703-8B39-5612238D863F.jpeg

though the supervisory team also like to obstruct even when there is no polystyrene
46CD9323-A814-49B2-A305-AD2DDC55A5D0.jpeg

The 6mm sheet on top of the MFT top is easy. Just drill holes large enough to clear the dogs (probably 30mm) in the same pattern as the MFT and cut away. When it’s in ribbons throw away and repeat.
My brother has a business that gets deliveries with 6mm/10mm MDF as packing so I have an endless supply.

stand offs, which plug into the MFT dog holes
Could always cut some pieces of ply or mdf, drill and glue some dowels flush with one face, dowel size a bit less than holes in mft and drop in place. Size of ply to suit what you are cutting, could be large with a couple of dowels or small with one dowel. Dowels just stop the ply moving about.

EDIT- I prefer TomGW idea to mine.

Last edited:
The mft top that Amazon advertise is really good post free value, and £5 cheaper direct from Lasersmith in Northern Ireland

I was thinking of this type of bench dog 😆

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220601-213735_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20220601-213735_Firefox.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 0
Back