Cutting on the back side.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munty Scruntfundle

Established Member
Reaction score
HI there.

My lathe sadly doesn't have a reverse as delivered, but I've checked with the manufacturer and the motor will turn 'backwards' perfectly happily. So I'm fitting a reverse switch tomorrow.

When turning a box I can't get to the end of the lathe to see down the rabbit hole, so I can't see where the tool is. If I run backwards and work on the back side I can see what's going on.

Apart from the obvious safety considerations does anyone have any tips for working this way? Anyone else stupid enough to try it?

Many thanks.

I make boxes and hollow forms most of which I can't see down into the piece especially when working through a 3/4" hole so everything I do is by feel and stopping to clear out the piece and then checking the thickness inside.
Even with boxes I stop regular and check the walls and bottom mostly by feel.
I don't have reverse and find I don't need it. Also with reverse when using screw-on chucks it will need to be locked to the spindle to prevent it undoing while working.

Make sure you have a chuck locking screw fitted as Dalboy says, even if the chuck does not unwind completely it will start to run out and result in a serious catch.

I regularly hollow in reverse as it allows me to see the internal surface and the tool contact point.
file.php

Here's a potentially silly question. I have recently returned to wood turning after a 50+ year gap and am gradually getting to grips with things. Internal shaping is the next challenge.

My lathe (Record DML305, extended bed, nothing fancy) is fixed to a solid but slim home made trestle-style bench which I can walk around. Its just occurred to me, is there any reason why I can't simply stand on the 'wrong' side to see what I am doing and hold the tool at the right angle? Stop button is in easy reach.

Should be no problem as you have access to the control switches, no different to turning from the front with the lathe in reverse which I regularly do.

Adjusting the toolpost position may be a little awkward unless you can turn the saddle through 180 deg.

My lathe does have reverse (VB36) but never had a need to use it, I always hollw by feel even on some large vases using the Lyle JAMIESON hollowing system, never had a problem to date.

Back