Cutting Mitres ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Thrax

Established Member
Reaction score
For some reason me and mitres just don't workout very well. I think I've measured up correctly, allow for the kerf on my mitre saw, and yet still end up with mitres of different lengths, what the 'blue bottomed monkeys' am I doing wrong ?

DT,
This was my solution. A stop block and the object piece clamped firmly in place.

cutting_sides.JPG

Andy

Thanks for that Andy, I'll give it a go and hopefully sort out this minor but irritating problem :)

Dave.T.

I'd the same prob when I first started... mitre saw wandering all over the place... I bought a chop saw and never looked back...

I must admit that I have used my table saw in the past and cut as a pair, but now I have a chop saw I use that with a stop.
You could also trim them to length by using a shooting board and a hand plane :D

Bean

Having now established that I have rats in my workshop, not a bad thing but trying to have a conversation with them is about as useless as trying to have a deep and meaningful conversation with the wife when explaining that I 'need' these new tools...... :D

But seriously, rats have been stopped from coming in, no more chewing power cables, nesting in the rolls of fine wirewool and no more little 'gifts' deposited on the work bench, time to try various methods at perfecting mitre cutting, I'll get there....now all I need is a chop saw :wink:

Hi DT
What sort of mitres are you cutting? I mean, mitred corners of a box or for picture-framing?

My friend Brian-next-door recently bought a SIP machine for making picture frames. Both he and his wife paint. The problem is that it is the length of the rebate which is important, not the overall length. It needs to match the mount, but as the rebate is underneath, you can't see the mark. So I made an adjustable sliding fence, which can be set according to the width of the picture frame stock being cut. You then set the stop to the size of rebate you want and it does it for you. Well, you have to operate the saw yourself, but you know what I mean.

If this is the kind of mitring you are doing, PM me and I'll send you some blurb and pics. I hope it will appear in a Mag Near You in the fullness of time.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve, I'm trying to cut mitred corners for a box and that's where the problem is getting me at the moment. It looks like technique and practice are what's needed here and following the great advice I've received I'll get there in the end!

Cheers.

Back