cutting mirror glass

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulc

Established Member
Reaction score
Local glaziers charge through the roof for cut mirror glass , so I want to purchase a cutter and cut to size myself , Is it difficult ? Whats the best brand /make of cutter , are those on axminster any use? where can you get good ones online ? Any info would be great , cheers , paulc.

When I left skool at the tender age of 15 I worked for a glazing firm for three years. then we used Shaws single wheel cutters with replaceable wheels did not like the six wheel cutters because of no finger grip and shallow wheel and angle as you can see in this photo

209003.jpg

Always keep the wheel well lubricated (white spirit we used) as a dry cut will run everywhere, never make repeat scores and not to much downward pressure on the cutter.
If cutting 1/4" or 1/2" off use a plierers with card protecting the jaws(ciggerates pack) try not to use the nibblers on the cutters as the surface area is to small and shell the glass

Cheers for the advice, I think I recognise the picture from axminster , Is this the type you reckon I should avoid ? If so which cutter on the axminster site would you recommend ? thanks alot , paulc.

sawdust producer how would you put a safety edge on glass you have just cut ie for shelves ect .

:) frank

Frank you can put a arris on with wet & dry paper I`ve even used a pumice stone, but for a polished edge we had a spacial belt machine with gravity feed water, went through the grades and finally buffed with a cork belt.
Be careful with wet hands and glass, lethal combination

paul c I`d go for a single wheel cutter every time with spare wheels if possible, try a glazing shop for cutters and wheels I`d bet they are still using Shaws

thanks sdp some one told me to use a wet house brick they said that works as well but im not so sure :?

Sawdust Producer , got the Shaws single wheel cutter , put mirror glass face up on towel at end of workbench , cut line with t-square , tried to snap off cutting over edge but shattered , one clean cut from 6 attempts, any advise on method ? cheers ,paulc.

Hi Paul,

My dad used to cut loads of glass as part of his job and if i recall, he used to make a single score line, then tap from the underside with the ball end of the cutter along the cut to deepen the score line before attempting to snap the piece.
He would usually put a thin piece of timber like a doorstop (about 6-10mm thick) just back from the cut to lift it up slightly before applying firm pressure to snap it.
I've only ever seen a few bust on him using this method.
Mind you, mirror glass might be a little different nowadays, I think most pre-cut ones have a safety film to stop them splintering into shards when they break, but I would assume standard mirror glass would be the same as ordinary float stuff, so it should cut in the same way.

Andy

I think most pre-cut ones have a safety film to stop them splintering into shards when they break,

Thats a good point Andy as I do belive all glass that is fixed below a certain hight as got to be tempered.

Paul, where did you get the mirror from?

Hi SP,

Yep, it used to be any glass fitted below 800mm, but building regs change for a pastime, so this may have changed.... I think the idea is to stop kids careering headlong through it, (and also us adults a little worse for wear on a saturday night :D )
Also IIRC all door glass has to be toughened or laminated as well, no matter what size pane.

Andy

I visited a glass shop last year and was shown how to cut glass. There is a trick to it.
One score line only, using firm pressure all the way. The noise the cutter makes is very distinctive, sort of a zing. If it doesn't zing it won't break correctly. If it doesn't zing then your aren't applying enough pressure. The glass must be broken immediately or it may not break properly. The cutter excites the glass molecules along the cut line. If they stop vibrating then it is harder to break the glass. Tapping the underside with the ball part of the cutter does help.
Another point is that old glass doesn't break very well. I was shown this with two pieces of glass doing repetitive cutting.
Having said all that I have never cut mirrored glass. It may have different properties meaning you may not be able to cut it by hand.

Andy

Back