cutting mild steel with a coping saw....can't cope

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A fretsaw or a jeweller's saw. You need finer blades than a coping saw will hold. Depending on the size, you could do all but the inside cut with a hacksaw or thin disc on an angle grinder (easy), drill holes for the inside corners and use a disc to cut all but the very ends of the internal cut or use a metal cutting blade in a jigsaw (which of course you could use for the whole job.)

If you don't have the other tools just use a hacksaw for the outer sides and drill a line of holes along the internal cut, snap off the waste and file it flat, it doesn't need to be perfect just fit for purpose. You could harden them if using tool steel but not essential as they're just being knocked into end grain.

I'd use a drill for the rounded corners and use a hacksaw (Bahco blades are good) to cut out a triangle and with another kerf or two cut afterwards, using a beater flathead or cold chisel and/or vice grips to break off whats left.
File or cut off to line so you can get the blade along the length.

Curious looking things those pinch dogs are.
Tom

TBH, He seems to have found the most awkward way he can to do this, Draw them out. Put in a vice. Cut it out with an angle grinder. Job done.

You could even go as far as filing two wedges on a bit of bar/rebar, putting in a vice and bending the wedges so the outer sides of the wedges were parallel to each other and perpendicular to the spine.

Might need a blowtorch if you used thick stock, but easy enough.

thanks guys, the coping saw blade did actually cut through the mild steel to my surprise, I've made a couple of them and they work better with edges that are rough sawn and not too sharp, much like old cut nails.

I’ve managed to saw through tool steel with pegas wood blades as that was all I had at the time. Went slow but it did work.

will be interested to know if pinch dogs are worthwhile, or if clamps are just better

you need this guy 21557789_1164225490344600_7110683247204786565_n[1].jpg

Just a buy a set, far too much effort if you don't have a method of cutting under power (eg bandsaw or angle grinder)

Just a buy a set, far too much effort if you don't have a method of cutting under power (eg bandsaw or angle grinder)

not going to buy a set or use power tools, it costs half the price to make them and isn't much work.

I’ve managed to saw through tool steel with pegas wood blades as that was all I had at the time. Went slow but it did work.

will be interested to know if pinch dogs are worthwhile, or if clamps are just better

will let you know Tom

Back