cutting metal with a bandsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
I'm told I need a blade speed around 70 metres per minute to cut annealed steel. My axminster 350N travels at ten times that speed.
Is there a way of swapping pulleys to slow it down that much?

Unlikely you will have room for that kind of reduction. You would be better fitting a slower motor. For the hassle and cost you could pick up a small metal cutting bandsaw instead.

Not worth the hassle for a few cuts. I shall use the disc cutter and good old elbow grease instead :roll: 8)

Probably not a great idea, but fascinating none the less 8)
I wonder how practical it is.
[youtube]-c0lgTyMHvU[/youtube]

That's called friction cutting if you want to look into it more. Typically the blades in industry run 2 to 4 times faster than a wood cutting bandsaw. I have never done it and wonder if the blade could get hot enough to melt the rubber tires. I believe the friction cutting bandsaws don't have tires on them.

Pete

When Rob said "I don't know how important the feet per minute speed is, but..." I stopped watching.

I found a few utubes that said yes, its easy. One of them (allegedly) cut a half inch bar of steel with a wood blade.

I asked axminster and they do not sell any kind of reduction pulleys. I asked the important man, Ian at tuffsaws. the man said no.
Good enough for me.
Really glad I have an annealed slab to cut out though. 8)

Since you're throwing the fancy terminology around Bob, I'm guessing this 'annealed' steel bar might be that knife in the making you mentioned before? :wink:

All those years of cutting 4" pipe with a hacksaw should make you an expert sawyer :lol:

Trevanion":19ogzb0z said:
Since you're throwing the fancy terminology around Bob, I'm guessing this 'annealed' steel bar might be that knife in the making you mentioned before? :wink:

All those years of cutting 4" pipe with a hacksaw should make you an expert sawyer :lol:

A well reasoned deduction. :lol: Pipe cutting is easy, but you cant cut 18" of flat bar with a hacksaw. :roll: :roll: Good job I have a disc cutter and many files. I would love to have one of those large 3 wheel sanding machines, but thats a definite no.
Still not sure if the couriers (family) are getting here this summer, previous years they would be on their second week by now. Last ditch chance is the 18th august. If that fails then it will all have to parcelled and shipped to me. Not happy about option 2 because that will double the cost of the parts.
Whatever, cant see me cutting before mid september, but I do want to be prepared. 8) 8)

If it's thin-ish plate you're cutting Bob, just use a 1mm slitting blade in an angle grinder. With creative angling of the blade you can cut quite tight curves. Can you get that style of wheel in Cyprus? If not I can post a couple to your family to go in your care package with the steel.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

A kind offer, but not necessary.
Cyprus is overflowing with architectural stuff. Iron, ali, every cutting and welding system known to man, even in the small village DIY shops. =D> =D>
What is TOTALLY missing is any form of hobby stuff.
Can you believe I have spent quite literally years trying to find brass? Its unknown as a flat bar stock. Even engineering shops give me the blank look.
I've even had greek cypriot friends surfing the greek language internet for metal stockholders. Mostly I get directed to bronze for bearings, but at ridiculous prices :roll: :roll:
Needless to say there is a lump of brass in my care package along with the steel. 8)

I have just cut some big comb aluminium heatsinks on my Startrite 352 it slows down in the fins! some wax on the blade reduces the screaming.

Pee

Back